Pico Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost a week now. I added another piece of live rock on Sunday. I'm amazed at how clear the water has been. I still haven't been able to check my parameters because the testing kit is on order.

I hear about people having their water checked at their LFS. How much water has to be taken to them to test it?

I have seen tons of life in the tank! Dozens of tiny snails climbing on the glass, dozens of small starfish and an unknown number of brittle starfish ( since I can only see their arms coming from the rocks!)

I have seen three different colors of brittle starfish though ( blackish green, white and red with white stripes). I am looking to make this 5 gal into a reef... Will these types of hitchhikers play a role with my corals later on?

Also, I know that clown fish are supposed to be in 20 gallon tanks but my LFS have literally the smallest clowns I've ever seen. Like 1/2 in to 3/4 in. Could one of them survive in my 5 gal?

Attachments

• image-2106219471.jpg
    image-2106219471.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 127
  • image-782273266.jpg
    image-782273266.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 112
  • image-2546717938.jpg
    image-2546717938.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 114
A clown will quickly get too big for a 5g. I know its tiny now, but it'll produce too match waste and throw the parameters off quickly.

And I've never done it, but the signs I've seen at my LFS say to bring in a cup of water for testing.

Almost a week now. I added another piece of live rock on Sunday. I'm amazed at how clear the water has been. I still haven't been able to check my parameters because the testing kit is on order.

I hear about people having their water checked at their LFS. How much water has to be taken to them to test it?

I have seen tons of life in the tank! Dozens of tiny snails climbing on the glass, dozens of small starfish and an unknown number of brittle starfish ( since I can only see their arms coming from the rocks!)

I have seen three different colors of brittle starfish though ( blackish green, white and red with white stripes). I am looking to make this 5 gal into a reef... Will these types of hitchhikers play a role with my corals later on?

Also, I know that clown fish are supposed to be in 20 gallon tanks but my LFS have literally the smallest clowns I've ever seen. Like 1/2 in to 3/4 in. Could one of them survive in my 5 gal?

Great pictures! I love that red striped star.

I'd call the LFS and ask if they are going to use liquid tests or paper strip tests. If they use paper strips (which aren't always accurate) then you won't need alot of water. Just enough for them to dip the strip in. If they use liquid tests then you'd need about a cup like Beengirl said.

Look on live aquaria at nano fish. You could try getting a clown goby. They aren't super active. Do alot of research on fish. Some need more swimming space because they are very active. Clowns get bigger than you think. I was surprised when I saw a full grown one. You have to consider the adult size and activity level of whatever fish you want to buy. The more active they are the more space they need, the more food they need, and the more poop they make. You may want to consider doing coral and inverts. Pom Pom crabs, emerald crab, dwarf hermit crabs, sexy shrimp, peppermint shrimp, a pistol shrimp, feather duster worms and different kinds of snails- cerith, bumble bee, margarita, nassarius, periwinkle blues... All of those will be fun to watch. :)

I can get a pic for u this evening..no the glass only covers the hole in the center of the tank where the light overhangs the tank,...i will make sure to take pic of it too...this is his mantis shrimp tank..so he kept stock filter(2 n1) since it was the spec v ..had good flow for single res in tank...just put his media bag(s) in filter compartment and kept stock light...

So I was away for two days and I come home and the feather dusters in my tank look much less perky! I also found some weird red growth on one of the rocks here's a before and after picture.

Could the feather dusters be looking like this because the cycle is still regulating itself?

My brittle starfish are still alive and moving. My other starfish are totally inanimate though, and it looks like they are covered in some kind of green growth.

Attachments

• image-1552630514.jpg
    image-1552630514.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image-51879778.jpg
    image-51879778.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 128
So I was away for two days and I come home and the feather dusters in my tank look much less perky! I also found some weird red growth on one of the rocks here's a before and after picture.

Could the feather dusters be looking like this because the cycle is still regulating itself?

My brittle starfish are still alive and moving. My other starfish are totally inanimate though, and it looks like they are covered in some kind of green growth.

It could be due to the cycle. If you were gone for 2 days I'm sure there was some water evaporation. Have you checked salinity and topped off with fresh water?

Well I was gone but my gf took care of it. She did top offs too. The SG was the first thing I checked 1.023. I still can't check any other parameters because the kit hasn't arrived :(

So I just took some water into my LFS and to PetCo.i had them both use test strips on the water. I know they aren't as accurate as the test kit, but it's all I have right now. The kit should be in on Monday. This is what they both said:

Nitrates: between 0 and 10
Nitrites: 0
Alkalinity: too high to measure
PH: a little acid. My LFS guessed that it was about 7.8

How can I fix this alkalinity acidity issue?

So I just took some water into my LFS and to PetCo.i had them both use test strips on the water. I know they aren't as accurate as the test kit, but it's all I have right now. The kit should be in on Monday. This is what they both said:

Nitrates: between 0 and 10
Alkalinity: too high to measure
PH: a little acid. My LFS guessed that it was about 7.8

How can I fix this alkalinity acidity issue?

7.8pH is not too high for saltwater.

Did they tell you ammonia?

I also have this hitchhiker, but I don't know what it is. I've been watching it and it releases a big web like thing. Then sucks the web back in.

You can kind of see the web in the picture

Attachments

• image-3341254835.jpg
    image-3341254835.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 134
That's awesome! Thanks for the article!

Update! I finally got my test kit and decided to keep the reef kit too! Parameters:

Temp: Set at 80 F
SG: 1.023
pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: ~ 5
Calcium: 380
Alkalinity: 11
Phosphate: 0.25

5 gallon tank, 11 days old.

What do you guys think of these?

Tank had been going for about 3 weeks. The parameters have been stable aside from small fluctuations in nitrates. A few days ago I added 1 nessarius and a conehead. Today I added a second nessarius, a emerald crab, a blue legged hermit crab, and two green striped mushrooms coral. Here's a picture. The second mushroom is fold over on the right.

I was told to place the mushroom in the locations I like, if they couldn't handle it... They would move/ float elsewhere.

What is the average price per mushroom head?

Attachments

• image-3753969955.jpg
    image-3753969955.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 121
Can someone give me a second opinion?

I have the hardest time figuring out exactly what shade these are. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-251893189.jpg
    image-251893189.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 108
Can someone give me a second opinion?

I have the hardest time figuring out exactly what shade these are. What do you guys think?

Those #'s look good to me, the amonia looks like .25 but that could just be the picture. Your nitrates are up, 1.5 pwc could help with that, but if your tank isn't finished cycling then you Ammonia could go up. Maybe wait a day or two then check and/or do your PWC. PH for a reef should be up around 8.1-8.3. My tanks currently 8.0 and everybody is happy. I check my water religously. BTW you should pick up the Reef Master Test Kit from API, if your gonna do a reef. There's different things to measure that you'll need to keep an eye on , especially with a smaller tank. Go slow there's lotsa good info about this forum. Good Luck!

Checked parameters again today plus added a fee things.

PH: 7.9
Alkalinity: 10
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: ~10 I think

Added a dragon eye zoa and a cleaner shrimp :)

I think I'm going to buy some new lights. Can I get some opinions?? My tank is rimless, 19.5" x 7" x 10.5" deep. I was looking at the odyssea 20" 72w T5 HO. The issue I have with this light is it may be too long for my tank since mine is only 19.5" and the fixture is 20". The other light I am looking at is the EVO quad clip with 20 3W LEDs. The issue I have with that one is that my tank is only 7" from front to back and that light had dimensions of 14.75" x 9.25"x 1.15". Would that light protrude over the front of my tank? I know it has semi adjustable neck but I just don't know how adjustable. Please let me know if these are valid concerns!?

Attachments

• image-309217977.jpg
    image-309217977.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 131
  • image-1029420231.jpg
    image-1029420231.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3512319944.jpg
    image-3512319944.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom