Pics of my first reef, 3 gal Picotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Melosu58, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You . You have been such a huge help and I owe my success in this hobby to you and a few others that are always there . You and a several others on AA stand out as being the most helpful people I have ever met. You are always on here, and eager to lend good advice. thanks for all you do.
joey

Haha! maybe in the (very) near future... I would have some 'splainin to do considering it would have to come home w/ me over the summer... you know... working in education and all ;P

Fishypop, here you go. BTW, it is 1/4" plate glass w sanded edges. $10 at a local glass guy I found in the yellow pages. I just took some self stick clear rubber feet , about 1/2 inch square and cut them in half to make the tabs to keep it in place. I'll mail you a template if you want, drawn out on paper.

Attachments

• purple sr test003 (Small).jpg
    purple sr test003 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 60
  • purple sr test004 (Small).jpg
    purple sr test004 (Small).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 62
Joey, now you made want to have a Picotope when I just started cycling the 26 gallon... your tank is too good to look at :)

Hey thanks, it will be the least expensive aquarium purchase of your life. Just think, a trip for 4 to Arby's for dinner is just a tad less than the cost of the Pico. Now, that makes it seem like a no brainer.
Enjoy your pico build, I did a water change last night, took 2 minutes:biglol:

Hahahaha... very true... "good" comparison with ARby's dinner :p
I'm really thinking about it and put it in the office, hey how long does
your lil tank takes to cycle before putting the invert in?

I think I let it run a couple weeks, I do not remember having an ammonia spike, seems like I put in some flake food at first, using live sand, watched the test results for 2 weeks, and placed in my corals. The live rock was cured and may have helped speed things along. Have not since seen any ammonia or nitrites. Phosphates are high right now for some unknown reason, trying to figure out if its coming in with my frozen food or salt mix:mad:
joey

Joey,
Your pico is incredible. I did start mine and it's coming along. No where as nice as yours but making progress. It's much harder to aquascape a pico I discovered. I do want to have a glass cover cut for 1/2 of my top to reduce evaporation. I added a light to help the corals - actually have a Lord acan in there. However, I'd like to convert the original light that comes with the pico to actinic only. Anyone know where I can buy the bulbs?

I do get a chuckle out of all of you guys who comment about the wives finding out about the tanks. In my house, it's my hubby. And, to the fellow teacher, I have a tank at school (29 gallon bio) and it stays all summer. I feed every couple of days and have everything on a timer. The kids love it - so do the janitors!

Joey you should try letting your food defrost in a cup of RO water then strain it out using like a fine mesh you can pick up from a fabrics store. Sometimes the goop in between the actual mysis/whatever is the problem. Once it hits the water it just dissolves into ammonia/phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom