Pictus catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need some advice here, my current stock in my 37 gal tank is: 3 Cory cats, Pleco, 5 long fined red minor tetras, a dwarf gourami, powder blue gourami, and a creamsicle Molly. The Molly is less then an inch long and the tetras are all about an inch. Would adding a pictus catfish kill any of them and is my tank to small for that type of fish?

Pictus catfish have been known to eat smaller fish. So when it grows ( and they grow to a medium size fish), anything smaller will probably be seen as food. Up to you, if you like to take the risk. They also need large area for swimming, as they are very active. Do you have room for a pictus in your 37g tank?

My opinion, is you already have plenty of beautiful fish in your tank. That seem very happy. Do you really need more?

The pleco you have already gets quite large, unless you meant bristlenose. If its a standard pleco, it will grow big.

No I don't really need one but I just like them. I'd rather my other fish not get killed haha. The Pleco I have now is about 3 inches with 2 little horns. It's brown with black spots

Pictus are known fish eaters, are incredibly active and are better in shoals. In short one would be a terrible purchase for a 37G.

edit: i read that too fast, i thought you said white spots. that would be a common pleco and can grow 12-24 inches long, you will need to rehome it

Wow I didn't realize that, are they slow growers? Bc I've had it for atleast 4 months and it doesn't seem to be getting bigger.

I will try to get one tomorrow, he likes to hide in one of the rock caves so it's tough to get a pic of him. But I'm pretty sure your right, I just looked it up on petsmarts web site and it says it can grow up to 24 inch. Looks like I need a bigger tank.

Attachments

• image-2214125247.jpg
    image-2214125247.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 57
yeah that is a common pleco, but petsmart is completely wrong. their website says 55+ gallons, but really it is 150+ gallons.

Back
Top Bottom