Pineconing Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well one of my female guppies looks like she's starting to pine cone..... :( I know this is bad, and I can't do anything about it, but I'm going on vacation for two weeks starting tomorrow. If she does while I'm away, will her dead body affect my other fish?

I would definitely isolate her because it can spread to and kill your other fish. If you have time before you go, treat her with Maracyn 2 or Kanaplex.

Kirk808 said:
I would definitely isolate her because it can spread to and kill your other fish. If you have time before you go, treat her with Maracyn 2 or Kanaplex.

What are the chances she survives 2 weeks?

It's possible! I had a guppy that was pineconed for such a long time and looked so horrible but she just wouldn't quit! It went on for several weeks and I finally had to just put her down because she looked so bad.

On a lighter note, you can see my thread where I'm currently having a battle with the same issue, but with promising results.

Kirk808 said:
It's possible! I had a guppy that was pineconed for such a long time and looked so horrible but she just wouldn't quit! It went on for several weeks and I finally had to just put her down because she looked so bad.

On a lighter note, you can see my thread where I'm currently having a battle with the same issue, but with promising results.

That's great that you are having good results! It is a usual symptom with dropsy for her to have an enlarged stomach right?

Dropsy is more of a symptom than an actual disease, so it's hard to say what the underlying cause is. To be safe, you should quarantine her though if possible.

EDIT: I should add that it may be wise to either put her down, or leave instruction for your fish sitter to put her down if she gets worse.

absolutangel04 said:
Dropsy is more of a symptom than an actual disease, so it's hard to say what the underlying cause is. To be safe, you should quarantine her though if possible.

EDIT: I should add that it may be wise to either put her down, or leave instruction for your fish sitter to put her down if she gets worse.

I did leave instructions for her, thanks for the help!

Good to know. For what it's worth, I have seen some fish live with pineconing for months. You never know I guess.

Back
Top Bottom