Planing a 29g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcdrichj

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im planing to put together a 29 gallon reef tank. I have a cichlid tank thats doing great! I want to add to this with a new reef tank. I would like advice on my plan because this is my first reef. I have done research and would like to know if im on the right track before i start buying things.

So here goes.
I am planing a 29g (that i will drill when i hear from the mfg to see if glass is tempered). I was thinking of adding a 10 gallon sump. I
Im planing to center a small overflow box at the top of the display. I was thinking 2 or 3 chambers in the sump. I would like to know if I should have a ref or a skimmer maybe both?
I see some people putting live rock in the sump good/bad?

There is also coral and stocking I was thinking 3 or 4 fish. I havent really figured what kind of fish i would put in there maybe a pair of clowns.

This is just the basics if what i have been thinking i would like to know what everyone thinks and any tips are appreciated!!

Thanks!

Sounds like a great project.
I thought the same about transferring to saltwater, but it's a whole different ball game.

I think a 10 Gallon sump is good, I would do 3 chambers. However don't put Live Rock in the sump, you want Live Rock Rubble.

I don't know much about a refugium, but a protein skimmer would be beneficial. If you are persistent with water changes one isn't required.

A pair of clowns would work, and maybe some kind of Goby.

Unless you like doing the DIY aspect, a Coralife Biocube might be good. The tank is more expensive but it comes with almost everything you need, no work involved.

In gonna warn you that Nano tanks cost A TON. Some say it's not worth the money, but I think it is.

Have fun and Happy Reefing.

I love the diy part I am going to school to be an engineer so i love building things!

Here is what im thinking with the overflow. Use an overflow box siliconed to the center back then drill the bottom of where the box is. That would flow to an acrylic box in the back where i would have the 2 standpipes.

Back
Top Bottom