Planning 125 Gallon Show Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dissy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a list of fish I'd like to see in my 125 gal. once it's all set up and cycled (I plan on doing this piece by piece, as I'd like it done correctly the first time). Once my list of fish is narrowed down, I'll plan the tank decor around what suits them best.

These are all fish I believe to be compatible together, along with their approx. sizes full grown. Any advice on what to keep, what to leave, what's good/bad, etc. would be appreciated. I don't think it will be overstocked when they're adults, but I could be wrong...

Red Breast Cichlid - 2 (7")
Convict Cichlid - 3 (These are juvies in my 20 gal right now) (5-6")
Fairy Cichlid - 2 (5")
Emerald Cichlid - 1 (12")
Texas Cichlid - 1 (12")
Banded Cichlid - 2 (12")
Bala Shark - 2 (14")

Later on, I'd like to add a pleco to this mix. Any advice on type/size?

The only thing I see with that stock is when the Cichlids start to pair up, they will get aggressive and need to be separated from the bunch.

Also, make sure you have some hiding spots so that each cichlid can claim a territory for its own.

Not sure about the pleco, that sounds pretty stocked.

Sounds like a decent list. May need some tweaking like the others mentioned. As far as decor, LOTS of hiding places. That goes without saying for any cichlid tank. Sand substrate and lots of rocks with hiding places.

My Convicts are all female (well, 2 of them are - the third is still up for debate), and currently reside in a 30 gallon tank (just moved from a 20). They seem to do well with each other (everyones fins are still fully intact, nobody shrinks away, they're active, eat like cows, etc. I planned on adding one new fish with them when I move them over, and then 1-2 fish a month thereafter, depending on what my final list is.

As for the quirky convict... I've read that males do not have orange on their bellies at all.. But then, I've read *one* instance where they do while they're still young. Any way to tell for sure? I bought all three of them last November - they were about 1" big.. He's a really dark one in comparison to other Convicts, but definitely has an orange belly, which you can clearly see when he swims, but if I try to photograph him, the orange doesn't show at all, except for a slight orange shadow on his tail fin... If he IS a male, I'll shoo him to the pet store. I don't want babies.

Given the above, do I have two females, and a male, or three females?

A tip when you aquascape your tank. Make sure any bottom rocks,(if stacking rocks to form caves) are sitting right on the glass bottom, then add your substrate. Where cichlids like to rearrange their enviroment, if the rocks sit on the subtsrate, the cichlids could cause them to fall over and maybe even break the glass if the rocks are heavy enough.

A tip when you aquascape your tank. Make sure any bottom rocks,(if stacking rocks to form caves) are sitting right on the glass bottom, then add your substrate. Where cichlids like to rearrange their enviroment, if the rocks sit on the subtsrate, the cichlids could cause them to fall over and maybe even break the glass if the rocks are heavy enough.

I did that with the decor when I moved them to the 30.. Even as tiny as they are, they started going all Martha Stewart in the 20.. :)

Not as cool as some tanks I've seen here, but it's temporary.. :)

Attachments

• 30gal.jpg
    30gal.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 99
It's heeeeeeeeeere!! I'm so giddy. There's so much ROOM in there. :eek2:

Attachments

• 125gal.jpg
    125gal.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 71
The convicts are down to one - two have been rehomed in exchange for a Firemouth and Green Severum.

Back
Top Bottom