Planning for another tank, going BIG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm ready for another tank (I have six now, 1 5g, 1 20g, 1 29g, 1 55g, 2 75g), thinking about a 180 gallon or maybe even a bigger custom tank. I could do the 180g in the family room easily, would have to get an engineer in to check out the floor supports if I put it in the in the living room. Family room is the most likely spot

I figure if I do a 180g or larger I will need four API NEXX canisters (two main each with an extension system). I'll go with NEXX unless someone has a reason not to, I already have 6 of them, in pairs, and I trust them. I also think I would need at least two power heads to keep the water moving. Not sure what I would need heater wise.

Obviously a boat load of plants, DW and decorations. Possibly hand built coves/caves.

I'm thinking I would like a full setup with LED moon lights, programmable controller to control everything. Would I need an sump? I'm only interested in doing a large FW setup. SW is not in my future. This tank would take some of the larger (2'-3' fish) at the LFS.

All feedback/help/stories welcome.

Sounds awesome, I'll be watching.

I use the Nexx filter too, haven't had any problems with it.

Have to do a lot of planning before I start to buy parts. Although I may go ahead and get the tank fairly quickly just to give me motivation. :)

man, i wish i could have a tank that big, i'm so jealous....maybe some day.....

Looked at a few tanks from craig's list. One wasn't a 180g even thought the add said it was. The custom sump system was crazy cool, but I passed on it because it wasn't the size I want. Looked at another but the guy had sold the tank by the time I got to it and he only wanted to sell the stand and other equipment and wanted too much. Have to keep looking.

Okay, I finally bought my first truly large tank, 180 gallons! I'm doing the first fill of it right now.

For those of you that remember my big tank cabinet build that is where it is sitting. I moved all of the fish from the 20g to one of the 75g tanks, they seem happier with new places to swim and friends to swim with. Then I moved all of the fish out of the 55g cichlid tank into the 29g backup tank. That cleared up the cabinet for the new 180g tank.

I've got two sponge filters and four API NEXX canister filters (two filter motors running two canister sets for a total of 8 canisters) for the 180g. About 80 lbs of pebbles and 40 lbs of crushed coral. Two 250 watt heaters and two air pumps, one with four hoses and one with two hoses.

Going to have to go find some MUCH larger decorations, this thing is huge. It took me and two of my neighbors to lift it onto the stand. I'm praying the stand holds up and the tanks doesn't burst.

:dance::bb::band::Fade-color

That looks fantastic!
Hope it all goes well and the fish love it.

Back
Top Bottom