Planning for another tank, going BIG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roughly:

2 - Rainbow sharks
1 - Red Empress
2 - 500 Bi-Colors
2 - Benga Yellows
3 - Venustus
4 - Obliguides (2 pairs)
2 - Microlepis
3 - Red Zebras
2 - Electric Blue Zebras
1 - Fuelleborni
2 - Yellow Labids
Some babies

lol good point. I was just looking on craigslist and I saw an ad that said "Will do roof repairs for saltwater aquarium stuff."

When you go this large, how different does maintenance get?

I'm guessing and hoping that it is bscially the same, keep the substrate vacuumed, rinse the filters, do partial WCs. However everything will naturally take longer and I think I'll be able to go longer between sessions.

Right now my concern is the increase in food expense.

Hopefully someone with experience with larger tanks will chime in.

zparticle said:
I'm guessing and hoping that it is bscially the same, keep the substrate vacuumed, rinse the filters, do partial WCs. However everything will naturally take longer and I think I'll be able to go longer between sessions.

Right now my concern is the increase in food expense.

Hopefully someone with experience with larger tanks will chime in.

U got 80g more then me. you will notice the difference in prices when u needed medication, prime and stuff like that lol.

Water changes are kind of annoying I usually do 20-30% a week and it takes a while but having a python makes a world of difference.

As far as food u can buy in bulk.and it'll be cheaper.

Finally, someone who wants or has a big tank. Seems most people on this site have shoe boxes for tanks. I've never heard of NEXX filters but six sounds overwhelming and a lot of $$. What about Fluval FX5? (925 gph, up to 400 gal) I use 2 XP on my 125. Get a good planting substrate too, it will benefit you when you plant and less need to dose. Also, as regard to lighting, I would go with HO t5. Marineland just came out with a LED fixture strictly for plants so check that out if you are really concidering led's. Just a tip too, I purchased a DJ switch box to plug all my equipment into instead of multiple power strips. When I need to turn of heat or a filter, just flip a switch instead unplugging all the time.

Hey mohican. Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately that tank is already put together. :) You can look through this thread for videos or just check out my youtube channel at zparticle - YouTube

The first one about the tank shows the filter system.

zparticle said:
Thanks Joe. :)

No problem. Like I said when/if u get you're first disease out break your going to hate your self lol.

I just bought maracin for my tank and u need 1 packet for every 10g. A box of 24 is $21 lol. U have to treat for 5 days

I think my thought that I would be able to go slightly longer between WCs and vacuuming is wrong. These guys are poop machines. Also I'm guessing I'm going to have a bunch more fish in a month or two. Every single fish in that tank is trying to breed with every other fish. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom