Planning my paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Careful on using play sand... it can be very high in silicates, which can lead to awful diatom issues. I know several have used it and worked well, but many have also tried it and had issues. It is probably just dependent up what the makeup is of the particular sand you happen to get.

If you want cheap sand, I would look into pool filter sand (PFS). A lot of folks use it, it is not expensive (in comparison to aquarium specific substrates) and it does not contain silicates. It is also much cleaner than play sand, so it will settle out much more quickly, and won't leave much floating in the water.

Careful on using play sand... it can be very high in silicates, which can lead to awful diatom issues. I know several have used it and worked well, but many have also tried it and had issues. It is probably just dependent up what the makeup is of the particular sand you happen to get.

If you want cheap sand, I would look into pool filter sand (PFS). A lot of folks use it, it is not expensive (in comparison to aquarium specific substrates) and it does not contain silicates. It is also much cleaner than play sand, so it will settle out much more quickly, and won't leave much floating in the water.

Pool sand is 100% Silica sand and they few times I've used it I've always had terrible problems with diatoms, but have never had a problem with play sand which I use in all my tanks plus it looks more natural. Just rinse the play sand well and when you rinsed enough do it again.

A guy on APC has the most beautiful BW paludarium I've ever frreaking seen. He keeps mudskippers in there and they look awesome.

Pool sand is 100% Silica sand and they few times I've used it I've always had terrible problems with diatoms, but have never had a problem with play sand which I use in all my tanks plus it looks more natural. Just rinse the play sand well and when you rinsed enough do it again.

Like I said, some have had great luck with play sand, others not so much. This is the first time I have heard of PFS causing severe diatom issues... PFS is indeed silica sand (SiO2), but pure, and not anionic. There are silicates (ions, ready to bond) found in some kinds of play sand, which is what causes the diatom issue, if I am not mistaken. Of course, I could be way off... but thanks for sharing your experience with it. Again, I think it probably comes down to the specific type of each that you use.

I use Estes' Ultra Reef sand. It is NOT a true marine sand, it is silica based. However, it has a polymer coating to prevent any brown algae problems. It also comes in multiple colors. I use either black and white mixed or all black.

I put together my slate cave and it's holding together very nicely. What do you think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110307_125111.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110307_125111.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20110307_125140.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110307_125140.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 88
  • ForumRunner_20110307_125208.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110307_125208.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 87
Hey, it looks great! :) Really nice! And very natural looking. I think it will look fabulous in the tank! AWESOME.

My cichlid tank is jealous. LOL I made one but stacked it and didnt glue it. Looked like garbage so I just took it all down .

Back
Top Bottom