Plant ID and mystery!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbarton1992

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if you could identify each of the plants shown in the photos. I'm assuming the are amazon swords but I was wondering if there are different species as they are a little different. Also, one appears to be blooming. (Last photo attached) is that normal of this type of plant?

Attachments

• image-3084897137.jpg
    image-3084897137.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1704813045.jpg
    image-1704813045.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3679771886.jpg
    image-3679771886.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 69
Defo ramhorn snails, the plant is maybe a amazon sword but im not 100%
The snails are pretty cool but will breed extremely fast, i had about 20 and in 2 months i had 100s, if you keep the tank clean and dont over feed that will slow there breeding down abit

+1 to the amazon. I have no clue on the snail

Thanks so much. I already knew about my snails. ;) in the last picture though, what is the blooming stalk like thing growing from the center of the plant.

Thanks so much. I already knew about my snails. ;) in the last picture though, what is the blooming stalk like thing growing from the center of the plant.

Haha ohhh. That's a stem/stalk that swords produce that will eventually get baby plants on it, it's how they propagate. If it reaches out of the water it may flower but when my rosette sword got like yours it just curved and stayed underwater, I got like 6 little plants off of it.

It's definitely hard to tell what kind of swords because there are so many.
Did you just recently buy this? If so, it may have been grown out of the water (judging by the narrow round leaves). If they were grown outside the water then in a month or so it may grow new submerged leaves and drop all the round ones.

P.S. on the plantlet, wait for it to grow some roots and be quick about cutting it off and planting it. The baby plants growing off the runner can take quite a bit of energy and kill off the mother plant (seen it happen lol).

Back
Top Bottom