Plant ID please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcus332

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I bought two plants at the LFS today, but I'm not exactly sure what they are. I have a few ideas but I don't want to bias your judgement :) . I've included two pictures for each plant to help you with the ID. Good luck, and thanks for your help! :D
[/img]

Attachments

• plant1_106.jpg
    plant1_106.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 42
  • plant_1.jpg
    plant_1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 35
  • plant2_184.jpg
    plant2_184.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 39
The first pic is a Cryptocoryne, most likely a brown or red variant of Cryptocoryne wendtii. The second picture is Hygrophila polysperma "Rosanervig." The upper leaves will turn pink in good light and the white venation you see is a actually an innocuous virus that causes the white coloration. It's an interesting one and can be a very fast, invasive grower when it gets going.

I've seen the crypt referred to as 'bronze' wendtii. The common name for the second plant is 'sunset' hygro or 'tropical' hygro.

Invasive grower is an understatement...some states list all species of hygrophilia as noxious weeds, so be careful when disposing of clippings, such that they don't end up in a local body of water.

Back
Top Bottom