Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
A friend gave me some plants from his tank. He doesn't remember what they are, but knowing him they may not have come from a pet store. Most likely they came from one of the local parks way up north here.

Let me know if I need to take a better picture or anything. I'm just curious to see what they are. They seemed pretty low growing in his tank. I also want to make sure they're fully aquatic so they don't rot away.

Attachments

• image-2279214693.jpg
    image-2279214693.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 81
A picture from directly overhead would help, as would some more info: Do they have a rhizome, or just roots? How big are they (height and spread)? Are the leaves tender/thin, or more robust/thicker?

The plants themselves seem pretty delicate, easily torn etc, the leaves aren't what I would call robust, but not paper thin.

Attached is a picture of a floating one that I left un-planted and an overview of one of the smaller clumps.

Attachments

• image-917407914.jpg
    image-917407914.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image-76943256.jpg
    image-76943256.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 58
They're pretty shallow from top to bottom, they seemed to spread more out than up.

Well the plants seem to be adapting. They've lost some color but I think that's do to a lack of nutrients. Here's an updated pic for reference if anyone can help.

Attachments

• image-1084633382.jpg
    image-1084633382.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 51
It looks similar. Can this be found in northern wisconsin? I haven't seen a definitive range map as of yet.

Lobelia was the first thing I thought of as well, but the growth pattern of the stem is completely different. You've got an interesting one on your hands. I'm wondering if its even a fully aquatic plant.

Lobelia was the first thing I thought of as well, but the growth pattern of the stem is completely different. You've got an interesting one on your hands. I'm wondering if its even a fully aquatic plant.

My main concern was whether or not it was fully aquatic. My buddy says he got it from an submerged location, but won't tell me where so it's not like I can really investigate.

His is at about the same stage as mine, but he's had his about a week or two more. Like I was saying though, I don't want it rotting away in the tank.

Ok, I've been looking pretty hard for an ID, and I'm ready to venture a guess. Lysimachia nummularia, aka Creeping Jenny. The stem structure is very similar, and you could potentially find in growing in the wild. It doesn't look exactly right yet, but it might need a few weeks of submerged growth in you tank to start looking normally.

Google it up and tell me what you think.

It doesn't seem to far off, so that may be it. I'm going to have to find some pictures of an immersed version to see if that matches better, just in case these were not quite fully submerged versions.

Once again, thanks for the help everyone.

R

Back
Top Bottom