Plant ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoboFish808

Aquarium Advice Regular
Went crayfish hunting today and found this…it comes from a long thin stem in the substrate and floats on the surface like duckweed or frogbit. Any ideas? Hand for scale! IMG_0452.jpgIMG_0451.jpg

It's not duckweed. Maybe check your local Department of Agriculture's website and see if they have a list of native and introduced aquatic plants and marsh plants in your area. Then see if you can match it up. If there are no pictures, maybe email them a copy of the pictures and see if anyone there can identify it for you, (assuming nobody here can). :)

It looks kind of interesting though, so maybe take some home and see if it grows in an aquarium and pond. :)

It's not duckweed. Maybe check your local Department of Agriculture's website and see if they have a list of native and introduced aquatic plants and marsh plants in your area. Then see if you can match it up. If there are no pictures, maybe email them a copy of the pictures and see if anyone there can identify it for you, (assuming nobody here can). :)

It looks kind of interesting though, so maybe take some home and see if it grows in an aquarium and pond. :)

It does well in my outdoor setups! Seems to love surface CO2. It seems similar almost to a type of cress family. The surface floating with the bottom rooted stems is unique

It does well in my outdoor setups! Seems to love surface CO2. It seems similar almost to a type of cress family. The surface floating with the bottom rooted stems is unique
That's typical of marsh plants. They have their roots in the substrate and as areas flood, they try to keep some leaves on the surface.

Good that it grows outdoors :)

That's typical of marsh plants. They have their roots in the substrate and as areas flood, they try to keep some leaves on the surface.

Good that it grows outdoors :)

Aha, touché, I guess I meant unique in that what shows on the surface seems most easily compared to frogbit or greater duckweed

Back
Top Bottom