Plant leaves becoming transparent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am doing a fishless cycle on my 50g planted tank...I am only 10 days into the cycle and the leaves on the swords are slowly losing their green color and becoming transparent. Used Eco Complete substrate, using CO2 injections...Ammo is pretty low, nitrites and nitrates are both pretty high...Lots of lighting in the aquarium. Not sure what the problem could be, anyone have any advice?

What kind of light? Are you dosing ferts?

It sounds like a nutrient issue, although it could describe several. If you're doing both CO2 and strong light, you will need ferts.

None at all...is this something better poured into the water, or mixed into the substrate?

It's a coralife setup, 2 65 watt 6700k bulbs.

Any suggestions for a fertilizer I should purchase?

You may need to at least dose potassium, phosphate, and micros (such as iron, etc). If you have a high bioload you might not need nitrate but I would suggest picking up some just in case.

Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - , , , , Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - , ,

You might consider ordering the following. 2lbs of potassium nitrate, 1lb of mono potassium phosphate, 1lb of potassium sulphate, 1lb of csm+b. These will last you a long time, probably well over a year. You may not need potassium sulfate if you dose potassium nitrate. Personally I would still get some just in case.

Here are some helpful threads to help learn about dosing
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/a-guide-to-fertilizing-your-planted-aquarium-53371.html

EI light: for those less techy folks - Aquarium Plants

If you decide to follow the Estimative Index dosing plan your dosing schedule will look like this

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 3/4 tsp GH booster once a week(water change only)
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

Hope this helps

Power compact. I purchased some potassium and I'll hope things clear up soon. In the meantime, I think I am noticing some algae growing on the plants as well...

Cobra said:
Power compact. I purchased some potassium and I'll hope things clear up soon. In the meantime, I think I am noticing some algae growing on the plants as well...

How long are your lights on ?
I would reduce your lighting to 5-6hrs a day for now. My lights are on timers. On in AM off during hot part of day ON in PM so I can see my Fish.

Old leaves go transparent on my Swords. I just trim off bad leaves weekly.

Keep up on PWCs and watch your feeding.

can you post a picture of the sword? The only time i had my leaves go transparent on me is when i first got the plant and it was doing the emersed to submerged transition.

Are you using CO2?

Pictures of the plants that are looking ragged. I significantly reduced the amount of time I leave the light on, at least until whatever funky stuff growing in the tank clears up. Any feedback based on the images?

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,667
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,420
That looks the emersed growth that I had before it converted. How long have you had the plant?

Not long, I started this tank on the 22nd of may. How Long did it take for your plants to look healthy again? And how tall to these things get exactly?

Cobra said:
Not long, I started this tank on the 22nd of may. How Long did it take for your plants to look healthy again? And how tall to these things get exactly?

Right now the sword i have in my tank is 20" to the tip of the tallest leaf, they can get pretty big.

The entire conversion period took a few weeks before it was completely done. Once a leaf started to show sign of dying i would trim it off as close to the crown as possible that way the plant could focus on new growth instead of teying to repair the dying leaves. IMO just trim off the dying leaves right now and let the new growth come in.

Are youusing root tabs? The Swords are heavy root feeders so a root tab near it will help it quite a bit too.

I had had the same thing happen to my sword but I have had it for about a year but after putting some root tabs in I noticed a huge difference and no more transparent leaves. All I dose with is flourish comprehensive and use root tabs and trimmed off all the bad leaves which at the time was basically everyone haha but now it is perked right up!

Anyone know of any reason i shouldnt just plumb the CO2 reactor inline like i had it on the canister? I'm figuring out finishing touches on plumbing for the sump now.

Back
Top Bottom