plant substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Certainly.

You may want to start looking into dry ferts instead of liquid flourish products, if you are in for the long haul. It is much more economical that way. Liquid ferts work great, but you are paying for about 99% water.

Do you use any dry ferts that you like that you would recommend to me?

I am going to go to home depot tomorrow and get 50 pounds. 50 pounds should be good for a 12 by 36 are right?

That is great to hear... I have a big project on my hands. Thanks for your help I am going to go now. Ttyl

Attached is a picture comparing play sand to pfs. Play sand is the bottom left one in my hand. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110409_090330.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110409_090330.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,559
Glad I could help! I'd say to those that have problems with PFS turning green - it is not the sand that it causing that. You more than likely have other issues, nutrient imbalance, overfeeding, excessive amounts of light, etc.

meegosh said:
Glad I could help! I'd say to those that have problems with PFS turning green - it is not the sand that it causing that. You more than likely have other issues, nutrient imbalance, overfeeding, excessive amounts of light, etc.

I appreciate it and agree that people having issues with it have something else going on in their tanks. Easy to plant in and cleanup are the biggest benefits to PFS. It sure makes my Java Fern covered DW pop in my 8g and the ghost shrimp seem to love it too :).

meegosh said:
Attached is a picture comparing play sand to pfs. Play sand is the bottom left one in my hand. Hope it helps!

The PFS I checked out at a local pool supply store this last Saturday was much finer than the PFS you have in your hand. I was told it was 20-grit. The bag didn't say "pool filter sand" on it anywhere. I talked to another store today and they had some that specifically said that it was PFS. I'm hoping to get there on Wednesday.

The stuff I have in my hand is #20 type AquaQuartz pool filter sand. Not sure what the means or if that translates into 'grit' or not. The playsand is Quikrete's Premium Playsand.

Is this substrate any good, it is 15$ a bag?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110521_174614.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110521_174614.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 125
Red with some black. So you think it would be a good plant substrate?

Back
Top Bottom