plant substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I am worried about the substrate leaking nutrients into the water column. I am so exited to have this stuff in my tank. (I am tempted to put it in tonight). How long would you say it would take?

It took me about 2 hours total, but I had to catch 30 or so RCS. I just drained some water to another tank (a bucket will work too), moved fish, shrimp, and plants, then drained the rest of the water, pulled old substrate out, added new substrate, planted, filled, acclimated fish, done

Do I have to drain the tank? I have no way to keep/ replace that much water.

I just can't imagine not draining it since yogi stir up a huge mess when you pull out the gravel. Don't keep the water, just do a complete water change and acclimate the fish when you are done

That means I will have to do it when the lfs is open.... I don't have 40 gallons of ro water on hand. Right now I have 15. I dumped some of the substrate in a bucket to see if it needed to be washed and.... the water was very red, I think I need to wash it. Should I just use a strainer and run water though it?

I was told that tap water was bad for fish/plants and that I should use nothing but RO. Is that false? I think my tap water is fine (I used it for 5 months or so) and nothing bad happened. What is a good water conditioner?

The only thing that is 'wrong' with my tap water is it is on the hard side. Is that okey?

Yeah, definitely. Just be sure to acclimate them slolwly to the new water, maybe add whatever ro you have for now, then just get them acclimated to tap by water changes.

How should I accumulate them, I usually have them in a bag from the pet store, but I don't have that many bags? Would zip lock bags work? (Dumb question)

Use a piece of air line tubing, start a siphon from the tank to the bucket and let tank water drip into the bucket. Every so often dip out water from the bucket so it doesn't over flow. I usually do this for about an hour before putting the fish in the tank.

Okey cool. Then I just scoop the fish from the bucket to the tank? I will probably do the drip thing for longer than an hour just to be safe, or is an hour more than enough?

I will do it for an hour and a half :) better safe than sorry (I hate it when I am sorry in this hobby). Sorry to bring this question up again but, does washing of specialty substrate wash out nutrients?

Back
Top Bottom