plant suggestions sought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pglenn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29g planted with currently a "horseshoe" arrangement - 2 faux mangrove stumps on either side (large on left, small on right), several scattered anacharis and delicate millfoil on left amongst the stump, some very good looking but faux hairgrass types in very back center (hopefully to be replaced by real soon), bacopa on right front and a sword (possibly amazon but unknown type) behind the stump on the corner. I also have several java ferns scattered, mostly under and sticking out from the stumps. The middle and front are currently left open.

I have 4 rainbow, a dwarf puffer, 6 octo-cats, a female fiddler and 6-10 ghost shrimp. 55w lighting and currently CO2 supplied by 2 2-liter DIY setups, which I replace the contents of one each week.

I am wanting to place something in the tank center. I have considered red ludwigia, possibly to replace the hairgrass in the back, but also possibly to have in tank center. I would like something in the tank center, something colorful but not too tall as I like the open middle. I also have the output of my HOT-Magnum canister filter blowing center front so whatever I place there will need to do well in a strong current. I have considered the real hairgrass possible in the middle with the ludwigia in back. any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

I'm guessing you're looking for something red for the center? Your lighting is a little low for most red plants, but you might consider Ludwigia repens or even Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red', which will get nice and bushy after a while and loves low-medium light. I'm a big fan of crypts for lower light tanks. They seem to do better under less light than more light.

And thanks for bringing up this post Tom :) That's easily the best motorcycling, trap-shooting, aquarium site I've ever seen :wink:

I agree with the suggestion of Cryptocoryne wendtii "red". I have some planted in my 30g with 96W of light and it looks spectacular.

I agree with the wendtii red. Barclaya longifolia red is also good. Not as light hungry as some reds and quite hardy. :D

How is Riccia in current? Or Glossostigma?
I've always been fond of tank left and right being planted with the front centre being short carpet plants.

Both of them should be fine in low to medieum current as long as you can keep them anchored. Glosso will anchor itself after a while. I've never tried either of them in a high current environment however.

Back
Top Bottom