Planted 20 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha I feel ya there I'm not even done with this one and I just started a low tech 10g cycling for shrimp and I got a free 55 I'm in the process of cleaning and am gonna do plants in it also bit I'm gonna use fw in that one and its gonna have a lot of light I started threads on them also if you wanna follow along them as well your more then welcome to
I'll check those out. I'm thinking of doing a 10g shrimp tank as well, start a little RCS farm.

Ok well here is mostly my final decision on what I would like to do with it. not sure what kind of moss and not sure about the marble sword might do a Florida sunset if it gets tall enough.

ForumRunner_20130427_014535.jpg

ForumRunner_20130427_014608.jpg

#1 HC baby tears foreground carpet
#2 Red tiger lotus midground
#3 water clover foreground
#4 limnophila aromatica foreground gonna keep it 6"
#5 amazon sword background
#6 hybrid hardy aponogeton bulbs background
#7 marble radician sword or Florida sunset crypt background
#8 mabey Christmas moss or whatever will look nice def not java moss
#9 myrio red tuberculatium midground
So what do you all think? What would you change what would you put somewhere else? What would you take out? And what kind of moss would look good.

Last edited:
I would eliminate #5 altogether as Amazon Swords just get too big and block alot of light. It would also grow too big even with trimming in a 20g. I just removed 2 in my 220g due to the size/spread/light issue. You might want to think about replacing it with the Limnophila simply because by constantly having to trim the Limnophila you are going to be constantly cutting off the nice pink upper growth. It IMO would look so much better in the background. Where you have #4 Limnophila I would put a naturally smaller growing plants like Dwarf Cardinal Flower. Where you have #6 in the front arrow I would put the Florida Sunset Crypt Wendtii. #7 you could use the Radician Sword BUT you need to be sure to off center it slightly to the left. You never want to put a focal point plant in the dead center of a tank. You could put the aponogeton bulbs to the left of the R. Sword to fill the space between that and the Myrio. Then on the right of the R. Sword to fill in the space between that and the Limnophila I'd do another stem plant with a thicker leaf shape like Ludwigia Broadleaf or Ovalis or one of the Bacopia's. Remember you want to use plants with different leaf shapes and color next to each other so each distinctive stands out.

Thank you I will look up the plants you suggested and draw it up also what could I attach to that fake wood structure I'm thinking some kind of moss I will be removing the fake plants from it.

Moss may or may not attach to a fake decoration depending on the finish. It has to be able to grip onto a slightly rough surface. All you could do is try it and see or replace it with a piece of DW.

Thank you what is a clean looking moss I'm not looking for java moss in there I think it looks too much like hair algae. Mabey Christmas moss? Or gloss...something...? Crap I forgot what its called.

There are several mosses like Christmas, Flame (which I like), and several others. Each has a unique growing shape so you just have to decide which one you like.

ForumRunner_20130427_195639.jpg

Ok updated plant positioning this time I didn't feel like drawing all nice so this is a bird's eye instead of the front view like before.
#1 HC baby tears (should I carpet it around the lotus)
#2 red tiger lotus
#3water clover
#4 limnophilia aromatica
#5dwarf cardinal (thank you I really like that one)
#6aponogenton bulbs ( I don't mind them being hidden as there just gonna b fillers)
#7 marble sword
#8 ludwigia repens (was actually one I was considering)
#9 Fl sunset
#10 Christmas moss
#11 flame moss
#12 myrio red

Thank you for the help rivercats. I'm sure my girl will like it better this way.

I think this will look better but remember it's your tank and you have to be the one to look at it.

I think this will look better but remember it's your tank and you have to be the one to look at it.

Haha...well this tank was a present for my wife last year I have a cichlid tank and a 10 I'm gonna plant soon then on to the next 55 I'm gonna do dirted on I have in the garage. But its nice to get a females point of view on it (as I'm not very good at decorating not trying to be sexist) she lays in bed and watches it till she falls asleep.

Edit: thank you for the suggestion about the cardinal flower I think she will really like that one.

ForumRunner_20130427_234250.jpg

Thank you rivercats she definatley likes this one better ! Lydia also says thank you. She likes the added color and variety.

Although some people have recommended getting rid of the sword it could be manageable with trimmings here and there.

Try not to crowd your 20 gallon with multiple species of plants because in a month if all goes well you're going to be out of space.

P.S. whether you decide to keep the sword in the 20 or the 55, it's a good plant to keep in the center rather than the corners. It's natural shape is sort of like a fan, so try not to restrict the growth and you should see some pretty good results.
I'm on a low light 55 and I get a new leaf everyday.

View attachment 170281

Thank you rivercats she definatley likes this one better ! Lydia also says thank you. She likes the added color and variety.

Your welcome and glad she likes it! Plus as it matures and fills in you can alway make adjustments. I'm still tweeking the 220 since the rescape and especially now that I've pulled out the big Swords.

Not hard, they are all pretty common. Check The Planted Tank buy and sell, AA's Classifieds, contact Jetta on here (Peabody's Paradise), Aquabid especially if you can get multiples from the same seller, and then AquariumPlants.com or Extraplant.com.

I gave jeta the list and he is going to get everything except the cardinal for me. Something about it being more of a marginal then true aquatic. Question my substrate is only about an inch deep should I move everything out for a day or two and add something to make it deeper? Like eco complete or flormax. My amazon sword and my aponogenton bulbs have roots coming out of the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom