planting a 29 gallon high after cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
allaboutfish said:
oh ok
watts-20
it's called a perfect-a-lamp,it's a t10, and it says F20T10AQ (ive only got the bulb bc the tank and verything is from cl)

20 watts means you should stick with low light plants, so the Cabomba may be an issue, google the bulb info and it'll tell you what the K factor is, but my guess is an 8000K which is good.

allaboutfish said:
oh and how deep should my sand be it's about an inch currently

I prefer 2-3 inches of sand and 1 might be too shallow. Some plants are heavy root feeders so I'd suggest root tabs and plantgeek will tell you which is which.

ok and how long should i keep it on for? and any more reconmendations for lowlight common plants from petco or petsmart

allaboutfish said:
ok and how long should i keep it on for? and any more reconmendations for lowlight common plants from petco or petsmart

IME stay away from petco/petsmart because they sell a lot of non-aquatic plants. Walmart was actually pretty good for plants and I got Free MTS to boot :D.

Anacharis, java fern/moss, crypts, anubias, wisteria, onions, vals. That's all I've got for now, but like I said plantgeek.net is great, just hit the low light link and they've got a ton to choose from.

EDIT: keep lights on 8-10hrs

haha ok ill do some research b4 i put together a list and take it to my lfs(most of these are at petsmart

allaboutfish said:
haha ok ill do some research b4 i put together a list and take it to my lfs(most of these are at petsmart

One thing I found at my petco is they'll cal it one thing but when I go to plantgeek to confirm, it's not what it says. So I'm always armed with my browser when I go plant shopping ;).

allaboutfish said:
but if i wanted to do high light plants wouldnt the second one be better

Some would say the 10000K because the light looks better to them, I choose lights on what's best for plants and 6700K is the sweet spot of the light spectrum for plants.

allaboutfish said:
so even with a plant like this it'd be better? just kind of baffled bc it is the cheapist.
Alternanthera reineckii at PETCO

My bad, I thought they were fixtures and not just a bulb.

You have a T10 20w 24" bulb for a fixture right? None of those will work in your fixture. You have to match wattage and there's no way around it. Sorry :(. If I'm wrong about your fixture, you still have to follow the wattage rule when shopping around.

That plant requires lots of light and you'd need to triple your wattage, add lots of ferts and a co2 system IMO. That's a big jump from where you're at right now isn't it?

ok so if i stayed with low lights i couldnt upgrade at all id have to stay with the current light (this isnt a all in one hood it has a hood and then a fixture over glass

Back
Top Bottom