Planting a Tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 120 gallon tank set up with just gravel as the substrate. I was wondering what I would have to do if I wanted to put in a live plant or two. Is there a way I can do it without getting other substrate to mix with the gravel? And if so what are some hardy plants that are good for the tank and fish? I am completely new at this!

First off what size of gravel are you using? Second what type of lighting and bulbs are on the tank. Lighting determines the type of plants you can successfully grow.

First off what size of gravel are you using? Second what type of lighting and bulbs are on the tank. Lighting determines the type of plants you can successfully grow.
I do not know exactly about the lighting. Just that it is marine land daylight fluorescent bulbs. It gets pretty bright I think. And the gravel is about medium iguess you can take a look at the two pictures.

Attachments

• image-2868592979.jpg
    image-2868592979.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3085903179.jpg
    image-3085903179.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 82
Fluorescent bulbs are going to give you low lighting. So if you want to keep your current lighting I would suggest using Crypts, Swords, Jungle Val, Water Sprite or Wisteris (I prefer Water Sprite), and possibly Narrow leaf hydro (Hygro Corymbosa 'Siamensis') for planting in the substrate. The get a nice piece of DW or two and you can tie Anubia's, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus onto them to grow.

Fluorescent bulbs are going to give you low lighting. So if you want to keep your current lighting I would suggest using Crypts, Swords, Jungle Val, Water Sprite or Wisteris (I prefer Water Sprite), and possibly Narrow leaf hydro (Hygro Corymbosa 'Siamensis') for planting in the substrate. The get a nice piece of DW or two and you can tie Anubia's, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus onto them to grow.
. Thanks! What is dw? And i could just buy one of those plants and stick it right in the substrate and I would be good to go? Or do I need fertilizers and things like that?

DW=driftwood.

If helps to give plants ferts and some type of carbon source such as liquid carbon or CO2 in higher light tank (which you don't have). Liquid carbon such as Excel or Metricide 14 Day Solution (which is the way to go in a large planted tank) will help plants with photosynthesis and growth. One thing you can't use Liquid carbon with Vals so don't get any Jungle Vals if you want to use liquid carbon. Plus ferts are always a good idea but if you only plan on getting a plant you probably won't need to use them. Liquid ferts are good but way too expensive to use in large tanks. Dry ferts are very economical for large tanks but you need more than a plant or 2 to warrant using them. For Crypts, Swords, or Bulb plants like Tiger Lotus (which is another plant that would work for your tank) you need to use root tabs on a regular basis as all are heavy root feeders.

DW=driftwood. If helps to give plants ferts and some type of carbon source such as liquid carbon or CO2 in higher light tank (which you don't have). Liquid carbon such as Excel or Metricide 14 Day Solution (which is the way to go in a large planted tank) will help plants with photosynthesis and growth. One thing you can't use Liquid carbon with Vals so don't get any Jungle Vals if you want to use liquid carbon. Plus ferts are always a good idea but if you only plan on getting a plant you probably won't need to use them. Liquid ferts are good but way too expensive to use in large tanks. Dry ferts are very economical for large tanks but you need more than a plant or 2 to warrant using them. For Crypts, Swords, or Bulb plants like Tiger Lotus (which is another plant that would work for your tank) you need to use root tabs on a regular basis as all are heavy root feeders.
. I got the two plants and put them in. You think they will do ok in their own do I need to put in fertilizer or other supplements? Also, I'm assuming just leave the tank light on throughout the day and off at night still.

Attachments

• image-3877918677.jpg
    image-3877918677.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1596745801.jpg
    image-1596745801.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 58
You got a java fern and I can't see the second plant as the picture is too small. But you have the rhizome on the java fern buried which is has to be pulled up out of the substrate. Only the white roots can be buried if you have to bury it. The plant will do better tied onto a piece of DW or decoration. Also if the second is also a java fern the same applies. Leaving the rhizome buried will cause it to rot and the plant to die. If those are the only two plants you have they won't need ferts but if you keep adding plants you will have to invest in some.

As long as your not having algae problems you can run your lights the same as you are now.

You got a java fern and I can't see the second plant as the picture is too small. But you have the rhizome on the java fern buried which is has to be pulled up out of the substrate. Only the white roots can be buried if you have to bury it. The plant will do better tied onto a piece of DW or decoration. Also if the second is also a java fern the same applies. Leaving the rhizome buried will cause it to rot and the plant to die. If those are the only two plants you have they won't need ferts but if you keep adding plants you will have to invest in some. As long as your not having algae problems you can run your lights the same as you are now.
. Okay thanks. I didn't have anything I wanted to tie them on to so I just pulled them up higher out of the substrate. Will that work?

The live plant is looking good

Attachments

• image-2037213788.jpg
    image-2037213788.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom