planting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
i bought a melon sword or ruby melon sword or something and wanna know how to plants it. i took it out of the little pot and put it in the substrate but it's sticking out alot. how can i fix this? what did i do wrong?

Moved to FW Planted Tanks Forum.

Sounds like you need more substrate. Did you remove the rock wool that was surrounding the roots?

Is there fiber glass insulation looking stuff around the roots (it is usually yellow)?

ok... thats fine. It sounds like your substrate may not be deep enough then.

darn it's sand so i cant really dump more in. i might could mix some blue gravel in or river rocks. i have a 29 gallon ill be setting up in a week that will have ALOT of substrate that i plan on moving it over to, but it only has 24 watts of light.

Actually the "WPG Rule" doesn't actually work very well on small aquariums like a 10 gallon. You're probably only looking at medium low light at best.

Actually the "WPG Rule" doesn't actually work very well on small aquariums like a 10 gallon. You're probably only looking at medium low light at best.

Then what do you think about 2 18w T5ho bulbs over a 10g...need co2? one bulb 6700 and the other is a rosate pink.

Not to go too far off topic, where did you find a dual t5 fixture for a 10g tank? I've been looking lol

You can also try a little pot to put the plant in and then put that in the tank. A buddy of mine has his plants like that and they do very well. Something that is just like a small glass or terracotta pot will work very well, or even make a mound of that sand. You don't have to put substrate on your entire tank bottom, just give the plant enough.

im gonna buy some pool filter sand bc i need some for my 29 gallon also, but how can i put this in the 10 gallon? should i take the fish out? should i drop the water ling to 25%?

I would probably take my fish out into a bucket temporarily so I can setup the tank properly and let it settle before putting them back in.

Back
Top Bottom