Plants dying, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ucigas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I am new so sorry if this is in the wrong area :angel:

But my plants are dying. I have a 36 gallon tank, I have a 30" 120 volt 20 watt florencent light tube and I use this florish excel stuff that says it puts in a carbon source and iron reducing properties. Also my tank has been cycling for almost a week. That's the most info I can give.

Here are some pictures of my plants:

ve26gy.jpg

This one just recently started developing holes in it

2v1qgxz.jpg

This one had those breakable parts (which I broke off) when I first got it there were more, greener, and shorter leaves.

1zpo18h.jpg

This one is paler and had breakable parts like the other one. This is a picture of the tallest leaf which dropped to the side after a few days of putting it in.

Before I had the last two plants in a 5 gallon tank with only natural sunlight. Just bought the first one last week.

So I'm wondering if they're just adjusting to their new environment, don't have enough light, or it's something else.

Thanks in advance if anyone actually replies to this.

You need more light and a light bright enough to reach the bottom of the tank. Is you light a T8 or T5? Does it have 2 bulbs or 1? What is the K value of the lamps? 6500k is the recommended number for plant growth. Also what kind of budget would you have for a better light? There are many options from better bulbs, types of lights, and what plants you want to grow. With these answers you will get better advice.

Your tank needs some adjustment period and plants need to settle. Holes and such are nutrient deficiency. Do you dose any ferts? I also feel that your lighting could be increased too.

These are crypts, a low-light plant that does well in any tank, but NEEDS roottabs! I've had the same problem as you had, holes in the leaves. It's certainly not a lighting issue as someone mentioned.

Put a roottab under it and wait for a week or two! Crypts are also known for adjusting and melting when first planted :)

Happy to help

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Yeh sounds like nutrient deficiency, it's no use dosing carbon if there are no fertilisers to utilise. It is true also that crypts are root feeders by preference but this is not to say they reject feeding through leaves. They will do much better with root tabs though.

Only suggestion on lighting would be to check the colour temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Crypts are root feeders, but root tabs aren't needed as someone has mentioned. I've had crypts in my tank for years and never use them. Up your fert dosage; they will be just fine ?

This just seems like a simple case of crypt rot. Theres nothing to worry about. Crypts habitually rot away down to nothing when they are moved but they almost always bounce back nicely.

Root tabs are important for crypts. In a coarse gravel substrate they help alot, but aren't necessary. In sand however they really do need them as there is almost no nutrients in the sand that will reach them.

Some crypts don't like excel either. Start off with half recommended dose and add some root tabs.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some crypts don't like excel either. Start off with half recommended dose and add some root tabs.

?? Crypts are fine with Excel or Glut.
Vals hate it.

At least my club has great results with Excel and Glut.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had no problems with glut either :)

I am NOT an expert. I am in an awesome club.
Tom Barr is a member.
Here are a few members' tanks...not mine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419324813.763080.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419324824.831098.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419324832.582255.jpg

I just wanted to post these so when I say my club does something you know that at least it works for us ;)

And wow Coursair, do you actually meet up with Tom Barr?
If so, tell him he's got some Belgian fans too ;)

I've heard people having troubles with crypt wendtii adapting slowly to excel. And mine has been melting off at a faster rate since using excel.

?? Crypts are fine with Excel or Glut.
Vals hate it.

At least my club has great results with Excel and Glut.

Not sure on crypt but I do find val very sensitive to it. For some reason broader leaf val seems to do better.

I've heard people having troubles with crypt wendtii adapting slowly to excel. And mine has been melting off at a faster rate since using excel.

My wendtii has no problems with excel. I dose my tanks at 10x the recommended dosage *shrug*

And wow Coursair, do you actually meet up with Tom Barr?
If so, tell him he's got some Belgian fans too ;)

I will. He doesn't come to every meeting, but yeah I have met him more than once. Sadly I missed the Meet at his house [emoji22]

He's very informative and very good at backing up his info. He got everyone using Glut if they insisted on Excel rather than CO2.

We also have a man that worked for Monterey Bay Aquarium. And now a member that works for San Francisco
Acadamy of Science or at least volunteers with them.

I'm in awe of their tanks LOL.

Crypts often melt. When you add them, when you move them, if conditions change, etc... But they almost always come back and once they are happy they do great.

Back
Top Bottom