Plants Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Please help I'm new to the planted tank business and only for a couple of years with live plants that aren't floated. Now in my new 55 GaRunning for a couple of months my live plants are starting to Die. I have Buenos Aire Tetras that I think have been eating them but also they are wilting and I'm starting to Get algae. I have an AQueon Aquarium Light and I'm not sure what light setting is Good for the plants.

We'll need more info before we can narrow down the issues. What light are you using exactly? Is that an LED light or Fluorescent tube fixture (i.e. t5, t8, etc.).. post a link or photos to the specs if you're not sure.

What plant species do you have problems with?

Are you dosing fertilizer, how long are the lights on each day, and are you dosing a carbon source like excel?

We'll need more info before we can narrow down the issues. What light are you using exactly? Is that an LED light or Fluorescent tube fixture (i.e. t5, t8, etc.).. post a link or photos to the specs if you're not sure.

What plant species do you have problems with?

Are you dosing fertilizer, how long are the lights on each day, and are you dosing a carbon source like excel?

I'm not sure which one I'll take a pic. I keep the light on from 9am to 9pm so 12hrs a Day. I Don't even know what a carbon source like excel means?

Take a pic of everything you can;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure which one I'll take a pic. I keep the light on from 9am to 9pm so 12hrs a Day. I Don't even know what a carbon source like excel means?

Excel = Liquid Carbon (AKA: Glut, or glutaraldehyde). Us planted tank hobbyist use it either in conjunction or in lieu of CO2.

Introducing Seachem Excel...
Seachem. Flourish Excel

Look around online to research and learn. Here are some videos (many more in YouTube, in case you're a visual learner).

This is more indepth with some science behind the explanation.

Anyways, 12 hours is a pretty long photoperiod. Still need to determine the light level intensity (low light, medium, etc.)

What's better than Glut? Answer: CO2 (especially in moderate to high light planted tanks) :)

BAT do eat plants [emoji53] The Buenos Aires Tetra will eat most live plants, except Java Fern.

So do you want plants or BAT?? If you want both, get a veggie clip and offer Romaine, Spinach and Zucchini.

Plants need fertilizers. Are you using ANY ??

As Brian asked...what kinds of plants are having issues ?

Can you show us a pic of the tank and pics of the plants ???

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom