Plants & Goldfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodOSoot

Aquarium Advice Regular
Now, lately the goldfish have been really liking the salad sort of speak.

Who knew Hornwort was so tasty?

I am getting a new 90 gal. for them, they are not exceptional fish but deserve a bigger home plus I can always use it for something else. Hopefully when I get a house they will make a home outside permanently.

I want to try and aquascape it a bit, I already have a cave/tunnel idea for the Dojo Loaches who make home with them as well. I also have a fairly long (3 feet) piece of driftwood as well.

Obviously low light would be ideal since they are easier to take care of as well as replace when they get hungry, so a carpet is out of the question.

2 4 ft T8 tubes on the top with daylight bulbs should be enough I think. What substrate? Pool sand or would using Fluorite be better since it offers iron up. I think Eco-Complete would be a waste just for goldfish IMO.

Also what plants would you guys use? Would you pot them?

THANKS! :D

I could only keep java fern with my goldie. Fits your low lights too. You don't need any special substrate. Just tie to a big rock or driftwood.

Mine are not too much into plants ... so far only minor nibbles on some of the tender ones .... never touching the Java ferns, Anubias, Crypts or hornwort.

They actually seems to prefer soft green algae to the plants! :)

Common goldfish or goldfish with normal body shapes are the only problem.

Goldfish with compact body shapes (aka "egg-shaped") such as orandas and ryukins go great with plants. The ideal tank for such goldfish is a planted tank.

I have four egg shaped goldfish in a 42 gallon heavily planted tank with tons of different types of plants. My goldfish have never eaten one plant. Not one.

The only plants you really can't have are the really fine leaved ones like glosso or hc, because the goldfish will uproot it due to their curious nature.

I would definately try the tougher skinned plants such as previously mentioned java fern and anubias. Both have tough leathery leaves and I can't imagine other than curiosity for one to take more than a bite. Now wisteria, HC, stargrass, Rotala, etc, those look like a nice snack!

Back
Top Bottom