Plants that will do well in low light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning to re-design my established tank as i am not entirely happy with it and also it will give me some more practice and freshen myself up for when i design my new tank. Also i might transfer some fish accross to my new tank so it is a good opportunity for a re-design.

The tank in question.
20gal
1wpg lighting
DIY C02

I currently have various crypts, anubias barteri, java moss and a hygro of some sort. All of these plants are looking ok but if i were to remove some of them to make room for new ones, which plants should i be going for?

I don't really have any particular plants in mind but i would to know what's available to me so i can choose and design my tank with a slight headstart.

TIA :)

I have found the following do well in low-light:

Java fern, jungle vals, hornwort, anacharis, most crypt sp and java moss. One question though, why the CO2? It's not needed under 2wpg.

I'm not so sure about christmas moss. Most everyone I know that has it has it growing in a med to high light environment.

I'm no CO2 expert, so I cannot gauge if there is any benefit to supplementing CO2 in low-light. You should be fine without it. I know I was.

I've only seen the one website saying that it is ok in low light so it's not really conclusive.

I too was fine without CO2 but i do think my plants are doing better with it although that could be down to wishfull thinking. :lol:

Also i have a large anubias barteri which i think looks a bit too big for the tank and i might opt for the smaller anubias nana. I really don't want to discard it though, i think it's a really interesting, hardy and nice looking plant. I could try it in my 20gal long but i would need to trim some of those roots, how brutal can i be with it?

i was browsing through amano's work last night. and, a lot of his tanks are low light (80W over 75g). he maintained co2 levels of around 15-20ppm in these tanks (1 bubble per 3s).

Yeah i think it will be a lot better. I don't want to kill the barteri though! It's a lovely plant and it's just put out 3 new stems and lots of new leaf.

I don't think it'll work in the 20gal long but i'll try it. I think it would work if it was heavily covered with a few leaves visible but that would be tricky.

There have been studies that have shown that by adding CO2 to a low light tank, there is actually a higher gain in improved plant growth than bumping the lighting to the next level. So yes CO2 is beneficial in a low light tank, even though it isn't required.

Anubias barteri is beautiful! You're lucky to have a nice one. I had a nice one too, and it dissolved on me for some reason. I never trimmed it or anything.

I do have a nice anubias now that I have had to trim a bit. The roots were taking up a large portion of the substrate. I did trim some roots, just a little bit. The plant was fine. Trim your roots carefully, and in a few months, trim a little more if you want - just trim in stages, slowly. When I trimmed, I didn't trim the length - I just thinned the bunch out a bit. Maybe I will try to trim the length a just a little.

I have a low-light tank (9 watts CF over 5 gallons) and I use DIY CO2. I think it makes a difference.

If you don't have a use for the A. barteri post it in the barter / trade section for a low light plant that you do want. I'm sure someone would be more than happy to take a lovely plant off your hands :)

I'd like to think i could design a nice tank with low light, i'm just not confident about it.
I think there's only a few plants available to me, so if i don't like them then im in a mess!

With the anubias. I think the leaves are too big for the tank and it doesn't look right.
The anubias 'nana' or 'petite' i think would work better.

That's pleasing that the CO2 has some benefit :D It would seem strange if it didn't :?

The Anubias roots are pretty big! Since i last properly saw them they were a right handfull.
I really don't want to kill it so i might not trim the roots.

Joannde - I don't want to get rid of it but if it doesn't work in the 20gal long then i may have too.

You have nothing to fear. A lot of folks started at low-light and progressed to high light. If you need some ideas, check my 75gal link or check out my gallery. I'm living proof of what can be accomplished in a low-light environment.

Satsumas said:
I am planning to re-design my established tank as i am not entirely happy with it and also it will give me some more practice and freshen myself up for when i design my new tank. Also i might transfer some fish accross to my new tank so it is a good opportunity for a re-design.

The tank in question.
20gal
1wpg lighting
DIY C02

I currently have various crypts, anubias barteri, java moss and a hygro of some sort. All of these plants are looking ok but if i were to remove some of them to make room for new ones, which plants should i be going for?

I don't really have any particular plants in mind but i would to know what's available to me so i can choose and design my tank with a slight headstart.

TIA :)

In addition to the plants mentioned earlier you can also try African fern. Check out the link below for a list of more plants requiring low light.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=1&filter_by=2

You do seem to have quite a variety there Jchillin!

Thanks for the link gheitman, thats exactly the sort of thing i was what i was looking for! :D

Back
Top Bottom