Plants with Volume

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to find some background plants that will fill my tank up a little more, plants like rotala indica, or didiplis diandra. I want something that will create a nice "bush" like in the pictures i posted(i know the the plants in the picture would require a high tech setup but in talking about the shape they create). I have moderate light and dosing excel and comp and will soon set up DIY c02. The only background plant i have now is ludwigia repens. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Didiplisdiandra3.jpeg
    Didiplisdiandra3.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DidiplisdiandraNorbert.jpeg
    DidiplisdiandraNorbert.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 56
Ambulia and cabomba are pretty good bushy plants, especially when planted tightly together. Rotala wallichi is another great one, but it needs higher light and CO2.

Austin.b said:
Ambulia and cabomba are pretty good bushy plants, especially when planted tightly together. Rotala wallichi is another great one, but it needs higher light and CO2.

Thanks. I never really considered cabomba because i always considered it to be more of a high light plant. I wish i could have wallichi :( What are the light, substrate and co2 requirements for ambulia and cabomba?

Tcal01 said:
Thanks. I never really considered cabomba because i always considered it to be more of a high light plant. I wish i could have wallichi :( What are the light, substrate and co2 requirements for ambulia and cabomba?

Yeah, It's a beautiful plant! I know it's not a bushy plant, but try rotala Bangledesh. I think it's a nice little plant. lol also try Lobelia. It can grow pretty tall, and usually grows pretty bushy. Cabomba is pretty easy, you can even leave it floating. I've grown it in regular aquarium gravel. Ambulia might give you kind of a hard time, I know it likes high light and CO2. I think you can also float ambulia, but I'm not sure. Try giving it a rich substrate. Don't quote me on any of this lol I'm not as experienced as some other people on here like jeta or aqua_chem. hopefully they can help us out! Lol Bacopa Caroliniana is another one of my favorites.

Austin.b said:
Yeah, It's a beautiful plant! I know it's not a bushy plant, but try rotala Bangledesh. I think it's a nice little plant. lol also try Lobelia. It can grow pretty tall, and usually grows pretty bushy. Cabomba is pretty easy, you can even leave it floating. I've grown it in regular aquarium gravel. Ambulia might give you kind of a hard time, I know it likes high light and CO2. I think you can also float ambulia, but I'm not sure. Try giving it a rich substrate. Don't quote me on any of this lol I'm not as experienced as some other people on here like jeta or aqua_chem. hopefully they can help us out! Lol Bacopa Caroliniana is another one of my favorites.

Awesome!!! IM looking up and writing all of these down :) are all if these easy to find or would i need to get them online?

Tcal01 said:
Awesome!!! IM looking up and writing all of these down :) are all if these easy to find or would i need to get them online?

Haha glad to help!:) some of them are easier to find then others. I suggest checking TPT for plants. They always have plants for sale there. I bought a package off a user from there, and he sent me about 30 stems of ambulia. I only used about 24 or so, I can ship you the rest if you'd like, Just for shipping cost? Lol I suddenly remember Myriophyllum Mattogrossense being a beautiful stem plant, I want it so much! Haha I'm still looking for it lol anyways, check plantedtank.net, and aquabid.

Austin.b said:
Haha glad to help!:) some of them are easier to find then others. I suggest checking TPT for plants. They always have plants for sale there. I bought a package off a user from there, and he sent me about 30 stems of ambulia. I only used about 24 or so, I can ship you the rest if you'd like, Just for shipping cost? Lol I suddenly remember Myriophyllum Mattogrossense being a beautiful stem plant, I want it so much! Haha I'm still looking for it lol anyways, check plantedtank.net, and aquabid.

How much would shipping cost. I am a member on tpt but i have always just kinda been a creeper lol. Never really a post-er. I will someday though :)

I have been trying to trim my ludwigia to make that shape and it has been working a little. I just wanted to get some more ideas. I appreciate all of the tips and suggestions everyone :)

Lol i think almost every link you post on here, coursair, is in my bookmarks :)

Tcal01 said:
How much would shipping cost. I am a member on tpt but i have always just kinda been a creeper lol. Never really a post-er. I will someday though :)

I have been trying to trim my ludwigia to make that shape and it has been working a little. I just wanted to get some more ideas. I appreciate all of the tips and suggestions everyone :)

Lol i think almost every link you post on here, coursair, is in my bookmarks :)

I typically pay $6 or so shipping for a flat rate box. Super cheap.

What a put rotala rotundifolia? I have read that it does OK in medium light but i have also read that it should have high light with co2

What about water wisteria, hygrophilia deformalis? grows in virtually any condition, high light/low light, co2, no co2, ferts, no ferts, whatever. It grows quickly and if pruned properly can be really bushy and effective.

Back
Top Bottom