Plany substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Know this is going to sound stupid but I just want to ask a straight forward question to all of you with planted tank experience.. I have been reading about the different kinds of dirt (substrate) to use in a planted tank. The question is, is there any type of dirt I can buy at a local home improvement store ( home depot or lowes) that will work in my tank to grow common ferns, mainly swords? I also am going to add a few frontosa with out killing them. Has anyone done this?

I have a 40gallon tall tank, T5 HO light (6500k), fluval 305, substrate unknown yet and river as a cap. Want to keep it simple, a few fonts, some drift wood, live plants a m some air stone.

Thanks guys.. I'm new and don't want to
F**k up and or kill fish.

Flourite&Eco-Complete are both great subs..why are you worried about killing fish? Is it a question about cycling?Actually botg the subs recommended look really natural without a cap...

I have a 25g dirt tank and it's going nuts. I use miracle grow organic potting mix and then a gravel cap. Make sure that the dirt is the organic kind. Also look on YouTube for dustinsfishtanks, he's the dirt king and will show you everything you need to know.

tiger terror said:
Flourite&Eco-Complete are both great subs..why are you worried about killing fish? Is it a question about cycling?Actually botg the subs recommended look really natural without a cap...

I just thought if you used something like miracle grown potting soil (for garden use) it might have something toxic in it that would kill fish.

Nah as long as it's the organic potting mix. It doesn't have any chemical fertilizers or anything like that in it.

Back
Top Bottom