Please help ! Beginner with 700 Gallon Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya that's a killer tank, I'd LOVE to have that as a FOWLR Tank. Looks like it could use some better lighting though, get some blue in there and more power but other than that it's pretty bad ***.

Thank you all, yes i am very excited about the size of the tank, it seems very accommodating of different species and thats why i picked it up.

I managed to find a spot where i could peel back the carpet and i have attached a picture of the material I saw below. I am not sure what this is and if it may be stable enough? Any ideas?? Will this be safe or will the tank go through the floor? whats the worst that could happen?

Attachments

• photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 165
  • photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 157
That thing is going to be insanely heavy and I'm guessing could cause issues. That is over 6,000 pounds of water.

Have you planned out the move? My 240 is 8x2x2 and it took four of us to get it up and moved and it got tricky getting it in the front door. This being two more on top seems like it will be quite a challenge.

In a rental house it would scare me. What if upon a inspection the land lord doesn't like the stress it's placing in HIS house and orders you to take it down. Before I spent $$$ I would cover my bases. Moving it won't seem like so much fun after you move it the first time. Not to say you can't do it, but I am exhausted thinking about it. ;-)

If it was your house, I would recommend you have someone look at the floor unless it is concrete poured on the ground. This is not only a lot of weight, but it's a tall aquarium that will concentrate more weight to a smaller area. This ain't no 55 gallon.

Last edited:
This ain't no 300 either. :) The sheer volume of this tank would scare me. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it...I'd just be nervous.

yea i am nervous too. thats actually my only concern. our movers are bringing it over so thats going to be pretty hassle free. But i do not know how to figuire out if the floor is concrete or not. Any suggestions?

In all fairness if its a house in arizona, more than likely its a concrete floor. Due to Calechi as a soil type, basements are not common and mostly just a concrete foundation is poured to frame the house up.

If you don't have a basement (unlikely in Az) or a crawl space, your floor is laid on the ground and should take the weight easily.

I just had a contractor come out and according to him , it is a concrete slab and about 3000 psi. Looks like it's a go !! Thanks for bringing this to my attention though !

Lol when we had to figure that our we just cut the floor open, guess that whole contractor idea would've been a better idea XD.

3000 psi?? Hmmm, my professional opinion would be to get a much bigger tank...2000 gal would do!

I am wondering can you put lights on the sides shining in at an angel for corals? If you had built up live rock in a taller column? I've seen it like that at our local aquarium.

Thats a really interesting idea! I think someone here also suggested something similar. Let me see if there is something i can find.i just dont want to block too much of the viewing area and also because its 700 high, i dont know if i can find a safe submersible device with a cable that long.

You'll become my best friend if you add an eel to the tank lol. Eels are my favorite

haha wonderful! what eel should we put in there friend? and would you have a link to one?

I think petsmart sells like a snowflake eel those are pretty neat. Where I work in the 1,400 gallon tank there's a.. Tiger eel? I think that's the name and this long black eel

Looks to me that the total height with the stand is 6'. If that is the case this tank is closer to 300g and not 700g.

Back
Top Bottom