Please settle dispute (sexing a gourami)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think it's a male, the person who sold the fish to me thought it was a female. Who's correct? :D

Attachments

• pg2_195.jpg
    pg2_195.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 345
  • pg_352.jpg
    pg_352.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 356
severum mama said:
Beautiful fish! What species is it?

He (or she) is a pearl gourami. I'm glad I was able to get a clear photo -- right now he's in quarantine for at least a couple of weeks, but I'm really looking forward to when I can add him to my main tank. :D

I also think its still too young to tell. Males usually have extended fin rays on their anal fins and going by that yours looks female, but it could just be too young. :)

Pearl gouramis are beautiful fish!

For those of you who think it's too early to tell: how long should I wait before posting photos again? I really have no idea how long it will take for a gourami of that size to mature enough to be accurately sexed.

You will see with in a few weeks. They rays will start to grow if it is male and you will know before too long and won't have to post.

onah said:
i thought the round fin meant female?
it usually does - but the round fin is also slanted diagonally (triangle shape) which means male.

kinda like this (only a guide)
dorsal fin - semicircle kinda shape = Female
750-Semi-Circle.gif

dorsal fin - triangle slanted diagonally towards the back of the fish = male
345t3way.gif

I think its a male

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, first off @__@. I have 3 gouramis that get to be the 4.5" in length and I thought maybe I'd at least have one of each sex...so if I do, it'll be a good model. If not...you may know what ONE sex looks like lol. One may be too young but I'm not sure...

Sorry two of them are kinda big >.<

1st Picture: Trigger - Opaline Gourami
2nd Picture: Reef - Blue Gourami
3rd Picture: Pearl - Platinum Gourami
MVI_0812%20001_0001.jpg

STE_0817.JPG

STB_0801.JPG

Puriti said:
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, first off @__@. I have 3 gouramis that get to be the 4.5" in length and I thought maybe I'd at least have one of each sex...so if I do, it'll be a good model. If not...you may know what ONE sex looks like lol. One may be too young but I'm not sure...

Sorry two of them are kinda big >.<

1st Picture: Trigger - Opaline Gourami
2nd Picture: Reef - Blue Gourami
3rd Picture: Pearl - Platinum Gourami
MVI_0812%20001_0001.jpg

STE_0817.JPG

STB_0801.JPG

looks like ALL males to me.

Back
Top Bottom