Please tell me my cycle is close to being finished

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had so many issues with this tank and I started thinking it would never finish cycling. 1 week ago I had readings of
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5
3 days ago
ammo .25
nitrite 0
nitrates 10ppm

Today is the first time I have seen nitrites. I just did a water change because of how high everything was. Am i getting close?
79324-albums12592-picture58913.jpg

Looks like its heading in the right direction

Is this fish-in or fishless? How long has it been cycling? If nitrites are just showing up that's a sign of progression in the cycle BUT the nitrite phase is generally the longest, lasting about 3 weeks on average so you might have some way to go yet. If fish are in the tank keep doing water changes to keep nitrites and ammonia under .25.

I am doing a fish in cycle as i didnt know any better. With lack of research I though I was cycled and added more fish over a 2 week period. ich showed up and killed some, new tank syndrome killed lots and i started giving up on the whole trade. 7 weeks in I did a large 75% PWC and the next day I added tetra safe start. against my best judgement I did not do a pwc for an entire week which is the levels you see above. now for 2 days straight im showing 0 ammo 0 nitrites and about 10ppm nitrates. hopwfully im just about there.

nitrites are still there. yesterdays test was 0 0 and 10 but a spike in nitrites today so i guess patience is key.

4 more test of nitrites and no ammo. Last two days 0 ammo 0 nitrites and 10ppm nitrates. Hopefully im done!

I'm interested in your progress as I too am in (the middle) a fish-in cycle. While I've not lost fish, I lost 2 Red Cherry Shrimp :eek:

When did you set up your tank originally?

Tank was setup 5/8. I just ran for 2 days of 0 ammo 0 nitrite 10 nitrate but last night nitrite was back up to .50.

Back
Top Bottom