Pleco help pleeeeeeeaaaaase!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candydrops

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I'm new to this site but have bin doing the fishy thing for about 9 years. I really need some help with my old man pleco. He is really precious to me and I've already lost my other big guy. I give fish advice all day at work but can't seem to help my own dudes. My hifin pleco has started to develop an overabundance of mucus or something that sheds off his body and lingers around in the tank. He also seems to do a chameleon bit and constantly changes color from rich chocolate (while swimming about) to patchy (when perched below the drift wood ornament). My water conditions are darn near perfect (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10), I'm just at a loss. So if there is anyone out there that has any ideas I am open to suggestions.

my tank is a 50 gallon. I know that he should have something bigger but he use to be in a thirty and he has alot of swim space.

I checked out the site, and the only thing that came close was a disease called Hexamita. However, he doesn't swim backwards, is not darkened in color, nor does he hide face down. I have noticed that his appetite has decreased. However I thought he may be depressed because his partner of nine years was slaughtered by a redtailed shark. I don't know if fish get depressed or not, I'm pullin' at strings here. Thanks for your input. It means alot that I am getting some feed back here. I couldn't bare to lose him to.

Is it possible he is shedding his skin? I had several platys do that. I hope it is not that. It almost looked they were molting or had little goose bumps on their skin. The bad news is within 3 days of starting it, they passed away. They also had a decreased appetite.
You could try and call Aquarium Adventure :: The widest selection of aquariums, fish, corals and plants. (phone numbers are on that site) and ask for the freshwater department. They are helpful sometimes because they deal with so many fish and of course they do not charge for the advice. Best wishes and hope you find out what is wrong. Let us know, OK?

What's the water's temperature? I've had my sail fin plecos change colors like that with light colored patches all over. but it would usually last a few hours. I think the color changes are caused by stress. How often do you do water changes in that tank? do you clean your gravel? what kind of test kit are you using? the strips or liquid? got another ammonia test kit to make sure the other one is working properly?

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely check out that site. I don't think it would be the same thing that happened to your fishy though. My pleco has been doing this for a very long time, it's just usually not this excessive though. As of last night he seemed to of stopped shedding and seems to be doing fine. I would still like to find out the cause of this or even what it is. Thank you for your input

My temperature sits alittle high at about 78 but that is my normally running temperature. Water changes vary to be honest. Sometimes once every week up to every three. Since he started to "shed" water work has been increased. I vaccum every time I clean unless i am rushed, so that isn't really an issue. As for my test kit, I use the strips. I have done the liquid before as well, I just found that the strips were a little more accurate. I work in a pet store so I have access to a lot of fresh supplies, so I pretty sure that my levels are correct, but honestly, the luck I've been having in my tank lately, I wouldn't be suprised if something was off.

Back
Top Bottom