Pleco ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrinn23

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this just a common? I'm thinking it is but I've never seen one with distinguished markings

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121109_202424.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121109_202424.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 107
Looks like a common to me. I believe they can come in a wide variety of patterns. Occasionally, we'll find "cool" ones in the store shipments.

Looks like a common to me. I hope you have room to upgrade later on... Common pleco's get really big, like close to 20'' I believe. I know they get larger than a foot long for sure. Also be sure to not get to small of fish because once this guy gets big enough he will eat anything that will fit in his mouth.

It's a common. I've never heard of them eating other fish. I've heard of them attaching to fish and sucking the slime coat, but never eating them.

Agreed. A "common". "Common" is the name given to a large number of species (and more probably hybrids) that are the most available in the hobby. They don't routinely "suck" on other fish, but discus can be at risk of injury. The only fish they'll eat is a dead one generally. JME

You can tell by the mouth, you can also tell by the scales rubber lipped have rounded and common (grow very large) have rougher scales. Only ones I have heard of eating fish are CAE's putting holes in them.

Back
Top Bottom