Pleco looks like it may have fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How often should I feed? Zuchinni was in tank for about 20 hours and started to rust my fork so I pulled it out. The zuchinni also looked like it has some fuzzy stuff on it.

Lol! Your fork is not stainless steel then. The fuzzy stuff is just the zuchinni falling apart. I keep mine in until it floats to the top and any fuzzy stuff I just scoop out with a net. You cut it long way, you'll probably have a bigger mess to clean with all the seeds and stuff. Slice it (As the circle) and skin it. Find a fork that's stainless and reload. When the next one makes to the top, or looks like it's had the life sucked out of it then pull it. Wait a few days and reload. They love it. You just gotta keep him in good health. They will be on that for about a wk if it's not sucked dry. Keep an eye on him don't let him get bloated. Watch his belly. As long as he's eating his immune system will build up and fight off fungus, and be able to heal. You can dip it, or soak it in garlic juice for his immune system to build up even better.

Lol! Your fork is not stainless steel then. The fuzzy stuff is just the zuchinni falling apart. I keep mine in until it floats to the top and any fuzzy stuff I just scoop out with a net. You cut it long way, you'll probably have a bigger mess to clean with all the seeds and stuff. Slice it (As the circle) and skin it. Find a fork that's stainless and reload. When the next one makes to the top, or looks like it's had the life sucked out of it then pull it. Wait a few days and reload. They love it. You just gotta keep him in good health. They will be on that for about a wk if it's not sucked dry. Keep an eye on him don't let him get bloated. Watch his belly. As long as he's eating his immune system will build up and fight off fungus, and be able to heal. You can dip it, or soak it in garlic juice for his immune system to build up even better.

I did see that minced garlic is good for the pleco's immune system but I was a bit worried to toss some in. Are you saying I should soak the zucchini in the garlic? I seen someone say a teaspoon of garlic is good for the tank and the fish immune system. But i have to admit, I am a little skeptical. lol

I've soaked mine for my pleco before, I believe in it. I had 2 plecos when I first started my 75g. 3-5 months or so after I had them and started really stocking my tank I had a fungus with mine. The 1 pleco was too far gone he wasn't eating. But my guy I have still to this day. He ate it and got better fairly quick. I soaked zucchini in juice of minced garlic and wiped off all the chunks of garlic. He healed up pretty fast. I didn't soak in very long. Just enough to wet it.

Update: water parameters have been stable. Pleco is eating and swimming around. Looks like it's healing pretty well. It's got some of its colors back. Still a little spotty but the medications most definitely working.

That's good to hear. Good job staying on everything. It's most important. Congrats! When he gets his color back. Give him a week with just good clean water and then I'd do one more treatment just to be sure he's ok on the inside too. Very good job!

Medication says to do a water change after 7 days and resume treatment if needed. Today is day 8 with meds. So I did a 50% water change and vacuumed all the poop up. Added water treatment for chlorine and meds with stress coat and filled it back up. Water temp went down to 77 from 83. I should have used hot water to help with the temp but didn't think about it. But waters back up to 80 right now, I have a 300W heater in there so it's warming the water up with ease. And he's swimming around eating wafers. I will get some more zuchinni in the tank tonight. I tossed some wafers in my main tank for the other pleco and it had a little and took off back to the drift wood. The Cichlids like the wafers too lol.

Sounds good. But you gotta be careful replacing water. He's hurt, and adding colder water might stress him. Same temp as tank for water changes, always. Your still doing good, if that's what the meds say then that's what you do. Oh, and be very careful with those wafers. The other fish love them and will eat till it's all gone. Some get bloated.

Sounds good. But you gotta be careful replacing water. He's hurt, and adding colder water might stress him. Same temp as tank for water changes, always. Your still doing good, if that's what the meds say then that's what you do. Oh, and be very careful with those wafers. The other fish love them and will eat till it's all gone. Some get bloated.

I didn't think about that... Thanks for the heads up on the other fish over eating... greedy buggerz

Lol! My angels ate til it was gone. The next morning I looked in my tank and seen them. They looked like they were gonna explode they were so big. I didn't feed them for about 2-3 days just so they could recover. They couldn't even move to try and swim looked more like a bowling ball trying to bounce, all of them were at the bottom for almost 2 days. It was a hot mess. I gave up on them. Threw in some driftwood and he loves it. Once in a while zucchini, but the others like that too. I could through peanuts in there and they'd eat them too. Lol! Little pigs that swim. Ha! Ha!

Well the water parameters are on point and my pleco seems to be on a great recovery process. Eating and swimming and well healing! Check out the photo from before and now.

Attachments

• 20180424_154036.jpg
    20180424_154036.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20180502_230958.jpg
    20180502_230958.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 71
Very nice! That's good to see. Glad things are turning around.keep up the good work, it will pay off. Almost there. ?

Hello, infant to thank everyone who contributes to this thread. My pleco fully recovered and has been transitioned back into the main display tank. It's been a little over a week now and what I have noticed is the other pleco I have seems a bit territorial and aggressive. Makes me believe that the issues this pleco has were the results of an attack since the damage originally was the same size of the mouth of the other pleco I have. I see the pleco chasing another once and a while. Attached is the most recent photo.

Attachments

• 20180612_114200.jpg
    20180612_114200.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 60
Two pleco's that size in a 55g. Time to up grade. Sometimes harder to keep together as they get bigger. But, he looks much better. Great job Doc! Thumb!

I have a 110g tank sitting on the side lines. Once I get my office completed I'll transition everything over to the 110g.

Thanks again for all your advice and contributions to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom