Pond Goldfish Dying! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's really hard to see and the picture doesn't do much good but he was swimming weird so it was hard to get a good photo. The dark spots look red in the picture but it is black.

ForumRunner_20140131_224848.jpg

I can't see any spots but, for whatever it's worth, that doesn't even look like the same fish as a few days back! He looks SO much better!!!!

He really does! Look at that first shot where he's lying on the bottom of the tank. They literally look like two different fish. Amazing. GREAT JOB!

Great job! I thought he was a goner when I saw that picture of him in the beginning. Every once in. A blue moon a fish just Dosent want to die!

Yeah, but he still sinks down to the bottom like that. This is a photo I took last night of him. His body is still bent but you can't really tell when he swims.

ForumRunner_20140201_104602.jpg

He wants to live and you're doing the very best you can to give him that chance. I'm wondering if there's some sort of improvised betta leaf that might help while he continues to get stronger. Have you seen a betta hammock, where there's a suction cup attached to a leaf that the betta can then rest on near the surface? Wonder if we could come up with a goldfish hammock of sorts, so he wouldn't be sinking all the way back to the bottom. I can't remember--have you tried feeding him a few shelled, very cooked peas? If his swim bladder is involved at all, that might help.

I know what your talking about. That leaf would probably work but it's smaller than him.
I don't have any peas to give him. I will pick up some next time I go to the grocery store.

I tried getting another picture of those spots. They are getting worse. The picture doesn't do justice for how it really looks. It looks much worse than the picture. Idk what's causing that cause the other fish don't have the black spots. I did another two 50% water changes (right now actually). So I haven't tested the water yet. But why are the spots getting worse?

ForumRunner_20140201_211641.jpg

ForumRunner_20140201_211710.jpg

Well, I just got finished with the second water change. Should I wait a little bit before testing or test now? I thought I needed to wait until the water cycles through for a while then test.

Usually it's an hour or so wait. I'm just curious as to the ammonia levels. They're the only thing I can think that might be causing those black spots. Hopefully JLK will see your post and offer her thoughts.

Ok, well I'll wait a little bit then test and I'll post the results.

If it was the ammonia levels which have been around 0.25, how do I cure that? Just by getting all the ammonia out?

With all the water changes you've been doing, it's hard to believe there would be any ammonia in the water at all. You're doing a great job. And you're using Prime, so that would take care of any trace amounts that small. How many goldfish that size do you have in the 29 gallon right now? Is it 3 or 4?

I have 4, including the sick one. 4 total.

And I mentioned in one of the beginning posts that I ran out of prime. So I've just been some regular conditioner. Should I go get some prime? I thought it was the same as a conditioner.

Prime is a conditioner, but it also binds toxic chemicals for up to 48 hours, which would be hugely helpful in a situation like yours, where you're so overstocked. If there's a possibility of obtaining it, it would be great, but if not, you're still taking excellent care of the fish. The problem is that four such huge fish in such a small tank have to be creating unbelievable levels of waste. I know JLK mentioned not moving them to the pond yet because of stress. Is there a chance you can get a large Rubbermaid tote to put two of the fish in? They're quite inexpensive and make good temporary fish homes with a filter and an airstone in them and that would take 50% of the stress of the bioload in your 29 gallon.

Yeah, I'll try to get one of those. I have one but it is being used as a chick brooder.

The parameters are the same as before:
Ammonia. 0.25
Nitrate. 5.0
Nitrite. 0

I'll try to get some prime also.

That ammonia refuses to budge. Really bizarre. But you're doing everything right, so it has to be some kind of fluke. Until JLK weighs in, that large tote and Prime would be my recommendation, along with continuing to carefully monitor your water parameters. You are doing absolutely everything you possibly can. You're an incredible fish owner. Hang in there!!!(y)(y)

I found a tote to put 2 of them in. I have to empty it but I will do that tomorrow. We just got another wintry mix today so school is closed tomorrow. I plan on moving them in the morning. I only have one 10 gallon in tank filter that I could spare for the tote, will that work? And I really don't need to cause its an extra filter inside my cichlid tank. Which leaves a 40 in tank filter for my 55 gallon cichlid tank. I can get an air supply in it, I'm just worried about a big enough filter.

Also, those black spots just keep getting worse. Its really worrying me cause I thought he was making a come back but now hes turning black! I wonder if it's that ich medicine I'm treating him with? Cause that's when they started showing up. I hope the pictures show good enough for you to see how bad it is.

I did a 50% and 60% change just now. I'll post the parameters in an hour.

I would go get some prime tomorrow but the roads are bad so I'll just have to do with what I got.

BTW, I have canned sliced carrots. Will that do just as good as peas? Haha?

ForumRunner_20140202_212719.jpg

ForumRunner_20140202_212819.jpg

Back
Top Bottom