Pond Goldfish Dying! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great job!! Have some patience and keep their water healthy-the black areas will fade with time so do not worry too much! :)

Just wanted to give an update. My fish is doing great! I was even able to move them to a 55 gallon until they move to the pond. He still has a few black spots but not near as bad. I feed them peas on the weekend now and they love them!

After they move outside, I was thinking about getting a goldfish to put in there but I wasnt sure what I would do when he gets too big for the tank. How long will it take for him to grow out of a 55 gallon? I want a fancy goldfish. I was also planning on getting more filters to go in it since I learned how much filtration goldfish need. How many gph should I have for 1 goldfish in a 55 gallon? If I do this, I want to do it right before I buy them. Hopefully, this spring I can talk my husband into getting a bigger pond. That way these goldfish will have more room. Also, could possibly have 2 goldfish in the 55 and be alright with a bunch of filtration?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1392656590103.jpg
    1392656590103.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 1392656619158.jpg
    1392656619158.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 76
Just wanted to give an update. My fish is doing great! I was even able to move them to a 55 gallon until they move to the pond. He still has a few black spots but not near as bad. I feed them peas on the weekend now and they love them!

After they move outside, I was thinking about getting a goldfish to put in there but I wasnt sure what I would do when he gets too big for the tank. How long will it take for him to grow out of a 55 gallon? I want a fancy goldfish. I was also planning on getting more filters to go in it since I learned how much filtration goldfish need. How many gph should I have for 1 goldfish in a 55 gallon? If I do this, I want to do it right before I buy them. Hopefully, this spring I can talk my husband into getting a bigger pond. That way these goldfish will have more room. Also, could possibly have 2 goldfish in the 55 and be alright with a bunch of filtration?
Hey animallover09! I am so glad to hear that he is better! IMO, I would say that two common or fancies would be ok! When they get bigger, i would upgrade, but for now, go for it! Good luck! Keep us updated!!!

I personally think 2 in a 55 would be perfectly fine, you might even be able to get 3 fancy (I don't know much about goldfish, but that's what I would do). Keep up with water changes and you should be fine. And a great thing to do for a pond (that's cheap!) is buy a used tank for water hauling, like the big round ones, and cut the top of. Then just put it in the ground! It's really sturdy and I personally think it's better then the black wrap stuff you can put on the ground. Also I'd probably try and get a filter that's 500gph. The more the better!

Right, I am planning on getting another filter. Ill try for 500 gph. Thanks for that!

Also, I was wondering if the feeder goldfish for like 13 cents at petco is a smart buy? Ive heard of those fish maybe being sick. But I really want to save some. Some are actually pretty IMO. Im torn between saving those feeder goldfish or getting fancy goldfish.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those common goldfish get really big, if I'm not mistaken up to a foot. They'll be way to large for your tank. Once you get a larger pond you could pick some up.

I am so glad to hear everyone is doing well!!! Your doing a great job and those black areas will fade with time (sometimes can take months). Keep up the good work!! :)

Two fancies should be fine in a 55g for awhile with decent wcs and good filtration. If you do want to consider saving some 'feeders' (typically, commons or comets), I would focus on your pond first as they will eventually need to be moved to something bigger and they will have a happy life outdoors with room to swim. Please feel free to ask questions!

Back
Top Bottom