Pond snail eggs !!! HORRAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bet you never expected to see THAT in a subject line ! LOL - I know I never thought I'd SAY it !
While doing my PWC on the 29G today I found a loose java fern leaf with a teeny baby fern growing on the top. As I went to remove the dead part of the mother leaf I saw a jelly like glob - POND SNAIL EGGS ! Normally I would have said "whew, good thing I found that leaf" but since setting up the 10G for the Dwarf Puffers I'm happy as a clam. The leaf is now in the 2.5G I have set up for snail breeding - talk about a kick start !

grats :) BTW with overfeeding the 29 a little bit, that tank could probably support your normal fish population, and about 500 pond snails, makes a good snail factory :)

Since I also have 20-ish mystery snails in the 29G its gonna be hard to overfeed that one LOL. I figured the 2.5G would make it easier to see the snails when they're still small enough for the DPs to eat in one bite.

Jason - you always come through with the answer I'm looking for ! I have wisteria and hornwort, along with three very small java ferns in the 2.5G that I hope to raise the snails in. Sounds like I'm on the right track :)

I have rams and ponds in a 2.5g with wisteria and other plants, and they don't eat the plants. They do eat the dying plant matter though. But it may depend on the species of ramshorns you have, as one species does eat healthy plants, but they're not as common.
But don't worry, you won't have any trouble. I had a plant tank that I put absolutely no food in for 3 months, and I'm still pulling dozens of pond snails out of the tank. Once they get going they're hard to stop, even with total neglect.

Back
Top Bottom