Ponyo in a 20 Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even if this one isn't, there may be more soon.

I'm realizing, though, that we have three males and one female. One of the males is definitely The Boss.

20170716_155928-01.jpg

About a week ago, the spouse used the gravel vac on the dwarf baby tear carpet, and the sagittaria sublata took advantage of the open space. I pulled a whole bunch out and moved it to the 29 gallon. I'm still replanting the carpet by individual stems. I removed a lot of the AR to open up some new territory for the dwarf baby tears.

The egg I had found is gone, but there are a few new ones. I'm tempted to remove them. What would I put them in?

Apparently I stirred up a bit too much detritus. I saw a nematode, so I did a very thorough vacuum. I removed all of the moss and put it in little baskets still in the tank.

Restarting the dwarf baby tears.
20170717_115228.jpg

To hold moss, one other suggestion I read somewhere, was to use the little plastic mesh bags from the produce department which hold any number of things from garlic and onions to tomatoesou could askt the produce person for one of your color choosing.

To hold moss, one other suggestion I read somewhere, was to use the little plastic mesh bags from the produce department which hold any number of things from garlic and onions to tomatoesou could askt the produce person for one of your color choosing.
Jeez I thought I had replied to this. I've been using the little baskets that the plants come in. So far so good.

······
I gave Copter her eggs back. Can fish smile? She attacked the stray leaf that drifted near them. MINE. An article I read said the eggs should hatch within 48 hours, which they did not. I hope they didn't go bad. Regardless, she looked at them, looked at me, looked at them, swam around them, looked at me... She definitely knew they were hers and she was definitely protecting them. Very different from guppies, I'll say that.

Looks very clean and healthy. Can't see any algae and plant leaves formed nicely. Fairly flat and good size. Nice reds too.

View attachment 299946
Compacta is the only plant that has this issue, but the leaves are pretty much constantly dissolving. What's going on with that?

Sorry I know this question was from about a month ago but I just now read your Journal and it is pretty exciting and the tank looks great, I've always wanted some puffers and yours are absolutely adorable. About the Compacta, that happened to me too, they were growing fine for a few weeks and then I trimmed then and they just melted away and didn't grow back. I believe, a fellow member on here mentioned it a little bit ago in a different thread, it is a plant that does better emersed which is why they melt away after a few weeks immersed. Loved reading your thread and I can't wait for more updates and pics :)

Sorry I know this question was from about a month ago but I just now read your Journal and it is pretty exciting and the tank looks great, I've always wanted some puffers and yours are absolutely adorable. About the Compacta, that happened to me too, they were growing fine for a few weeks and then I trimmed then and they just melted away and didn't grow back. I believe, a fellow member on here mentioned it a little bit ago in a different thread, it is a plant that does better emersed which is why they melt away after a few weeks immersed. Loved reading your thread and I can't wait for more updates and pics :)

Thanks for the kind words. Puffers are adorable for sure.

The compacta thing was weird. It did fine in another tank.

20170812_145532-01.jpeg

I undercharged.

20170812_151415.jpg

Let there be light!

When I first started with plants, I noticed people posting things about how they had two much of a plant. That seemed like nonsense. But, no. It's possible to have too much!

Back
Top Bottom