pop eye,... again... :( :( :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OMG.. 8O . i dont believe it... and i was so happy because my tank was doing so well again... PH is FINE.. Amonia levels are zero.. No amonia..... :?

Every other fish seems to be great, the new cichlids are fine, angel is still fine and survived the first catastrophe. IT is the black widow tetras again.. they were the ones that got the popeye last time and i lost one... now the new one has popeye!!! i think it is popeye.. its eye has popped out anyway??? what should i do.. take her out, use more meds in the tank.. just wait and see??? :(

It is ok.. i just found this article and will begin the process of fixing this problem :(

General Information
Pop eye is not just one particular disease, but various combined problems and or symptoms of an underlying disease. The most common cause is bacterial infection, this infection may have been caused by some preceding diseases or ailment. It can also be caused by other organisms these may include, rough handling, tumors, extreme lighting, poor nutrition and or a vitamin A deficiency. The eyes begin to protrude and a build up of fluid forms in and around the eyes.Like most fish diseases, stress is a major factor. Common stress elements may include include overcrowding, poor water quality, and sudden temperature changes.High water quality is a must at all times. This is not a difficult disease to treat, and is rarely life threatening.Occasionally the eyes will not recover fully in appearance, the eye will remain a little bigger than usual, even after the fish has recovered fully.

Diagnosis
Usually one or both eyes will appear a lot larger then normal. The eye or eyes will protrude from the head outward and may exhibit a cloudy film over the eye or eyes. The eye or eyes will continue to get larger more and more utill they peak at around one to two weeks. The fish may show some signs of stress, these could include lethargy and or a pale colour.

Treatment
First thing is make sure the water is high quality, check your pH and ammonia levels.Make sure these are correct and proceed with treatment. With the vast amount of possible causes, it would be best to treat the tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic. There are other treatments developed for pop eye, depending on the cause of your problem. Antibiotics can treat a large range of ailments. Always remember, water quality is extremely important to your fish-Always check the water quality first it is often the main cause of diseases in aquarium fishes. While treating sick fish, always try to put as little stress on the fish as possible,more stress will slow down the heeling process.

My water is high quality.. the only thing i can put this down to is stress. The cichlids have been picking of the neon tetras one by one and i am assuming that this could cause stress, i may have been leaving the light on for to long also.

I am going to do the broad spectrum antibiotics again (i should have probably repeated it after the first pop eye episode anyway) keep the light off for a few days and see how they go....

cichlids have been picking of the neon tetras one by one and i am assuming that this could cause stress, i may have been leaving the light on for to long also.

What exactly do you have in your tank? Chiclids (depending on type, but most I know of) will definitly pick at, if not munch down on neon tetras. With angelfish in there too, you may be way overcrowded. What size is your tank? I saw in your profile you say three feet. How many gallons? Do you have anything else in there besides the black widow tetras, cichlids, angelfish, and neon tetras?

You say the pH is fine, but what is it? Most cichlids need a higher pH (but can adapt to lower levels) however neon tetras are a low pH fish. There could be a few conflicting things here. Also, besides the ammonia, what are your nitrite and nitrate levels?

Otherwise, if you've got a QT tank, I'd put the tetra in it and begin treating with some anti-bacterial meds.

HTH

What exactly do you have in your tank? Chiclids (depending on type, but most I know of) will definitly pick at, if not munch down on neon tetras.

Mental Picture that comes to mind:
One of my Oscars swimming very happily with a belly full of Tetras.
:mrgreen: :twisted:

do lots and lots of pwc would be my advice for popeye. Even if the water is testing out well I would still do at least 30 % partial water changes at least twice a week during the popeye episode. JMO

PMSL @ defekt.... sorry, not funny.. but it is sooo funny :twisted:

The black tetra died, i fished it out this morning.

My tank is four foot and holds about 50 gallons. The ph is around 7.3 and the amonia being clear i thought nitrates would be of no consequence :?

Done my water change... taken the carbon out of the filter again and i dont think i will bother putting it back in.

I have one angel, two electric yellows, one lombardi, one clown loach and two tetras left. They are all just little tuckers and i guess i will just have to get a bigger tank when they grow :wink:

purple,

Can you link to the article you quoted, to give proper credit?

As for the tank problems -- I'm sorry about the tetra. :( If the other two tetras are healthy, I would consider returning them to the lfs. Tetras need to be in groups, and it's not a good idea to get more when you have angels and the other cichlids. I would then concentrate on the cichlids and the water parameters.

Oh no.. sorry, i didnt even think about acknowledging the author of the article.. that is bad isnt it... sorry :(

Thanks for that advice A n-tiasg, i will do that... :) btw, how did you come up with such an interesting user id??

Purple, my female German Blue Ram got popeye a couple of months ago. I put her in a 10 gallon quarantine tank, treated it with broad spectrum antibiotic, cranked the temperature up to about 88 degrees (vs 84 normally), and added salt to the tank. It took a week, but she was ok after that and has since returned to the big tank and is happy. My discus were picking off the cardinal tetras and I think she was freaking out because she was about the next smallest fish in there. But the discus do not bother the German Blue Ram couple. The boy is pretty fierce and would never tolerate them picking on her too. I don't know that you can do all of the same things I did with the types of fish you had, but I just wanted to share my experience. Sorry about your tetra.

Back
Top Bottom