Pop-eye on Zebra Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua7

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my female Zebra Danios seems to have pop-eye, but no redness in the eyes. What should I do about her condition? How can I treat it?

This happened to one of my neons a couple weeks ago. His eye was grotesquely swollen and he was hiding in the bushes. The other fish will pick on a sick one...and it could have been a contagious infection, so I made him a makeshift QT and put him in there for a week. I treated him with aquarium salt and Macaryn to be on the safe side...and he looked perfectly normal after the week. Now he's happily swimming around with the others.

I think most times it's just an injury that gets swollen...at least that's what it was in my case. I'd still QT him to be safe, and to prevent the others from picking on him until he heals.

It's both eyes. As you mentioned about your neon. My zebra also hides behind the bushes, but the other zebras don't bother it and she comes out of hiding when lights are off at night which is why I haven't quarantined her. Problem is she doesn't seem to be eating.

aqua7 said:
It's both eyes. As you mentioned about your neon. My zebra also hides behind the bushes, but the other zebras don't bother it and she comes out of hiding when lights are off at night which is why I haven't quarantined her. Problem is she doesn't seem to be eating.

I know fish won't eat if they're sick or injured...and they can go for a week, so that's not a problem. The fact that its both eyes concerns me. An injury wouldn't likely be in both eyes.

First, if you have a QT I'd get him in there. If it's in both eyes it could be an infection or parasite and could spread. If you don't have a real QT, you can make an improvised one for a while. I took a small betta tank...added gravel, an air stone and some filter media from my main tank and put him in there. I did twice daily pwc's with water from the main tank to keep it fresh. I suppose even a clean bucket with the stuff I mentioned could work for a while.

Pop-eye, if not from infection or injury, is usually caused by water conditions. Do you know your ammo/nitrIte/nitrAte levels?

Here's a link to the thread I started when it happened to my neon. Pics of my little QT are on page 5- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/new-fish-has-popeye-any-treatment-147778-5.html

eco23 said:
I know fish won't eat if they're sick or injured...and they can go for a week, so that's not a problem. The fact that its both eyes concerns me. An injury wouldn't likely be in both eyes.

First, if you have a QT I'd get him in there. If it's in both eyes it could be an infection or parasite and could spread. If you don't have a real QT, you can make an improvised one for a while. I took a small betta tank...added gravel, an air stone and some filter media from my main tank and put him in there. I did twice daily pwc's with water from the main tank to keep it fresh. I suppose even a clean bucket with the stuff I mentioned could work for a while.

Pop-eye, if not from infection or injury, is usually caused by water conditions. Do you know your ammo/nitrIte/nitrAte levels?

Here's a link to the thread I started when it happened to my neon. Pics of my little QT are on page 5- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/new-fish-has-popeye-any-treatment-147778-5.html

Thanks for the advice, but my zebra passed away. It's sad. If I get pop-eye again I'll do what you told me.

Back
Top Bottom