Popeye!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilMar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, all was well. I now have a Male Black Molly with Popeye. I'm suspecting he has this because, out of all the fish, he had more than one worm (3) on his body. I had to pull him out of the tank two times to remove the worms. This has to be traumatic, (not all the slim in the world would have helped) so I guess thats the reason he is affected and none of the others are. :(

Question: Is this contagious? Should I worry about the other fish in the tank? I will remove him from the tank to a medicated tank this evening. He's pretty sad looking.

Any information or insight on this particular problem would be appreciated.

Jeez Philmar... haven't you been through enough? I am sorry for your little guy...

My understanding is that popeye is sometimes a bacterial infection, and should be treated with something like Maracyn or Maracyn II. But apparently, it can also be stress or water quality related...

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Popeye

Here's a link I had bookmarked about treating it (says it's not usually fatal or particularly contagious - I hope that's true!), hopefully one of the experts will be by soon to confirm this! Maybe they'll have a treatment that won't destroy your biological filter too... Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

http://www.fishpalace.org/danscomments.html#Popeye

By the way, I would put him in a QT right away just in case it is contagious... Maybe someone will come along and contradict that, but better safe than sorry, and if you end up treating him, you won't mess up the bio filter in the main tank!

Yes, he is going into a QT, I just have to get it going. I got it today, and at present am fighting a Texas rain storm (all my gutters are clogged, My fish could earn their keep right now. LOL). I'm almost sure this has to be stress related and from what I just read in the articles you suggested (thanks) may also be worm related. I think I will try to get a picture of this.

he's not very happy except at feeding time he comes alive. He will not leave the bottom of the tank, and the female keeps messing with him :!: I'm not to concerned about the bio in the QT because it will be new. (No bio)

Back
Top Bottom