Porc Chop's Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well had a big issue in the hypo tank this past Sunday . I use tap to help keep ph up while in hypo and have been topping off with water from the same bucket for a week . Well I never re dosed the prime after 48 hours so I actually added top off water with toxic ammonia in it . Found the desjardini tang almost black and laying on its side . I actually removed the fish by hand ( it was that bad ) put it in a bucket and started a 8 hour drip to get him safely out of hypo and to the display . It is back to normal color and is eating good. Just waiting on the white cheek tang to stop being a bully and let the little guy out . Very close call .

Well things are going well in the tank . The desjardini is no longer confined to his hidey hole and it is actually out and about all day and even fighting back against the white cheeks oppression.Don't ask me how but somehow it is able to eat 3mm nls pellets and jumbo mysis even though he is still very small. Totally different fish than it was in qt. Of course here are some pics :)

090 by illfixurwhip, on Flickr

085 by illfixurwhip, on Flickr

074 by illfixurwhip, on Flickr

008 by illfixurwhip, on Flickr
082 by illfixurwhip, on Flickr

044 by illfixurwhip, on Flickr

Hi there,

How has your scrubber been working? How does it effect your water change schedule? Thank you!

The scrubber works great and I usually harvest the algae from it every 5 days. I still do weekly water changes even though I can easily skip a week or two if I wanted without issues.This tank is very heavily fed with pellets 2x a day. 2 whole algae sheets once a day and frozen or fresh seafood once daily and still maintains nitrates less than .5 . I also use only an algae scrubber on my angler reef and that one keeps nitrates at 0 with water changes every 3 week's but that tank isn't fed as much . Definitely one of the best things I have done for the tanks.

Great!

So depending on how big the scrubber is/your bioload in the tank, you could go a pretty decent time without a PWC, right?

Thank you.

Yes the screen size is determined by the amount you will be feeding with the minimum screen being 5x5 inches. I use that size on my reef that isn't fed much and its more than enough. If I didn't have corals in that tank I would probably be doing monthly water changes . If your still planning a 55 gallon a 7-8 inch square screen should be perfect :)

Yes the screen size is determined by the amount you will be feeding with the minimum screen being 5x5 inches. I use that size on my reef that isn't fed much and its more than enough. If I didn't have corals in that tank I would probably be doing monthly water changes . If your still planning a 55 gallon a 7-8 inch square screen should be perfect :)

Thank you. I just can't decide on tank size, I am thinking I might go a little bigger. :)

Back
Top Bottom