Possible egg-bound female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaggstAa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my two female goldfish separated from the other six males for about 10 months now because the males got into heavy breeding mode and were chasing them around literally constantly, including every time I tried to put the girls back in (I tried once every couple of months and the guys jumped right back on them). The girls have been living happily alone together in their own tank, but the past few days one of them has gotten very fat/round, her anus is quite protruded, and she is very slow--rather hovering more than swimming. Since I have never had an intention to breed, idk what to do about it. Is she possible egg-bound, and if so, is she able to expel the eggs without the coercion from the males? (I read that the chasing around is what usually leads to the females expelling the eggs.) Should I place her back in with the males in hopes that she can lay the eggs? I just feel bad for her because the boys will gang up on her immediately, and it's six against one, so that also concerns me that it will be harmful to her health. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

**UPDATE**

The goldfish that I suspected might be egg bound is now not so swollen and is acting normally for a few days now. But I have just looked closely at her and noticed there seem to be air bubbles sticking to her sides. I thought this was strange since I've never seen it before and also it is not on the other female. Then I noticed as she is swimming the "air bubbles" are in a kind of sticky net trailing off of her, and some of them detached and are floating around in clusters. They are teeny tiny and look like air bubbles, but could they be eggs, or is she ill?? She is acting completely normal now since she has become less swollen. (Her anus is still very protruded though.) What do you think? Should I do anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom