Pothos plant questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a few questions about the pothos plant.
1. How does this plant affect the water chemistry? Does it do a good job at taking away nitrites and nitrates?
2. I have a fluval chi 6.6 gallon tank. I wanted to know if I could just take a stem of this plant, and put it in the little, sort of box area on top of the fluval chi filter. Also, does it have to be fully submerged? Or how much does it need to be submerged.
3. Is it an easy plant to care for? Its most likely going in my tank with one betta in it. (the 6.6 fluval chi tank)
4. How do I plant it in the tank? Is there a certain process? Can I just cut off a stem of the plant and place that on the top of the filter box?
And that's it. I know I had a lot of questions but if they we're answered, that would be great. Honestly, I don't even know if the plant I have is pothos. I will try to get a photo of it soon.

The root end of the cuttings can be a bit long. I don't know if it would fit in the top box.
In this pic you can see all the stringy white roots up high in the tank.
IMG_1378.jpg

It seems to be helping keep my nitrates down.

Maybe I can just hang it over the side of my aquarium I think the roots would be great for my betta to rest or hide in as they get very long. Also, when taking cuttings, should I just cut off the leaf of the plant with a few inches of stem? Or do I need to also take the roots with it?

You can put in fresh cuttings or rooted plants you have washed all the soil off of. Just make sure there aren't any submerged leaves or leaves under a hood. They will rot/die.

Hello Im...

The Pothos plant root system is too small to make much of a difference in the water chemistry. Aquatic plants that float will do a much better job of reducing nitrogen in the water. This is because plants that take in nitrogen through the leaves take in much more than small rooted plants. Hornwort, Anacharis, Water sprite and Pennywort are good floating plants for maintaining steady water conditions between water changes.

If you're looking for house plants that will thrive immersed in the tank water, then research the Chinese evergreen or Aglaonema. Species of this plant can get quite large in a tank and will reduce nitrogen in the water considerably.

B

I tried the chinese evergreen and it got so big it kept tipping when it got taller and too heavy. I couldn't keep it stable. Any suggestions?

I tried floaters but they were blocking too much light to the plants in the tank.

Hello TM...

Varieties of Impatiens, for example "Shady Lady" will work as will Prayer plants. Like, Chinese evergreen, the root system must be totally immersed, with the leaves and blossoms above the water.

B

Back
Top Bottom