Powder blue thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlos8garcia7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I really love powder blue tangs, I've wanted one for some time now. What size tank is the smallest anyone would recommend for a small one that could grow in it for a while? I currently have a 36 gal so I know I can't have one. Just a thought for when I decide to get a larger tank

To be succesful with one I would say nothing less than a 6 foot tank and 125g.

They are kinda hard to keep though, ich magnets.

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll have to get that bigger tank then

Carey what size tank do you recommend for a hippo tang, could it be happy in a 75 or not

People will call me the tang police, but I firmly, very firmly believe that the blues require a 6 foot tank. Mine is a big blob of fish, fat and big and he swims an awful lot. he also jams himself into the oddest spots, he just needs a bigger than average tank.

There is always debate about yellow tangs, some people have been keeping them in smaller tanks like 55g and 75g's, I wouldnt do that myself and I dont reccomend any tang other than a bristletooth species going into a 75g. People claim success but it's a long term thing and cant be shown to be doing well after only a few months or maybe a year. My blue tang has got to be in excess of 6 inches now and he was only about an inch long when I got him, if that. He grew very very fast too.

Same here, my hippo was the size of a nickel less than two years ago, today he's over 6" and is still growing fast, I would add the Kole tang to the list of easier to house tangs. But I, along with Carey I see, are under the label of tang police. I have seen it with my own eyes the difference in instances of ick and other problems going away when the environment is right for these guys. Even hard tangs like powder blues do fine once calmed down.

Thanks for your thoughts, I know that I def won't be putting a powder blue in my 36gal. Just wish I could have one, they're really cool tangs

Hippos get huge. I wish people could see full grown fish at a public aquaria or on the reefs. It would really put it in perspective for those that think tangs can go in certain size tanks. For example, sailfin tangs. I don't think most people actually realize how big they get. They tend to get lumped in with yellows an purples tank size wise but IMO they need much larger.
Powder blues are gorgeous and this is a good thread showing you care about the well being of the animals we keep. It's just sad seeing some of these animals in captivity as people don't truly understand their size/behavior.

I am of the opinion that only the bristle tooth series could be in less than a 6 ft tank. All ther tangs need a big tank.

Powder Blues are very aggressive. A 150 i maintain has one in it and he tortures the rest of the fish. If I could catch him, he'd be history. A powder blue in a 75 is a recipe for disaster.

Tangs in general are pretty aggressive I have found. Some obviously more than others. I believe many of the comments made about the difficulty level on these fish are due to aggression.

Back
Top Bottom