Powerheads in FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a reason not to get a powerhead? I feel like a need more current in my tank cause i have a dead spot that really bugs me. its a 20G long and i have an AC50 on it and its just not giving me enough movement.

Also can the performance of a filter go down after use? I feel like the output of the Aquaclear has diminished since i got it :/

thanks,
brandon

Really, why do you want so much movement? Are you keeping fish in there that prefer a strong flow? With proper cleanings the performance shouldn't decrease. However, slow outflow isn't really a bad thing. I run my AC's with the flow all the way down. The filter is most effective this way.

Real output shows up after a few months of using an filter equipment. You're probably getting a little more than 200gph with that AC even with regular maintenance. It was probably more gph when you first had it up and running. Only reason not to get a powerhead is when your fish does not like high flow. Keep up with weekly water changes.

I have a 29 gallon with four aqueon power filters...in my experince i find it best to have the entire surface of water moving...no dead spots...your tank stays cleaner when there is more of a current because things aren't just settling at the surface but being pushed around to make sure the filters are getting any particles that may be in the water...aqueon power filters are great

If the tank is planted that much surface agitation may not be the best for your plants. IME many fish appreciate an area of the tank with slower movement. What fish are in the tank?

i do at least 2 water changes a week of 25%, because i have GBRs, then with them ive got zebra danios , cories, white clouds, and a platy
the tank is planted as well

Back
Top Bottom