Prime Causing Film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed that ever since I began using Prime, a weird film has popped up on the surface on the water in all of my tanks.

Is this possible? Has this happened to anyone?

QP

Do you have good surface agitation? I had what looked like an oil slick on my surface, I put in an airstone and it went away. Get that water moving and it should help.

I second the water agitation suggestion. I had a slight oily looking top to one of my tanks so I adjusted the spray bar to create more water movement and it's gone.

Causes of Dirty Cloudy or Yellow Water in Aquarium
-Two many fish in small fish tank (stocking)
-New fish tank – not cycled
-Not enough bacteria in the gravel to use ammonia produced by fish
-Fish wastes or ammonia in water
-Not enough water changes

i hope this helps!

Hi everyone I concluded it's just low agitation, getting an AC10 Powerhead. Thanks though!

And Jeta I make them as I'm baffled lol

It's bio film. Anyway, I noticed something and let me know if its the same thing with you guys. Every time we fry something I'll notice the film on the water surface. Just a coincidence? Only my tank in the kitchen though.

Last edited:
QuietPlotter said:
Hi everyone I concluded it's just low agitation, getting an AC10 Powerhead. Thanks though!

And Jeta I make them as I'm baffled lol

Multiple threads don't help bafflement, trust me lol!

But yea in the other thread I did suggest a mini filter or power head so I'm taking credit lol :D

roydooms said:
It's bio film. Anyway, I noticed something and let me know if its the same thing with you guys. Every time we fry something I'll notice the film on the water surface. Just a coincidence? Only my tank in the kitchen though.

When you fry, no matter how careful you are, grease will get everywhere. Yes, that is causing that in your kitchen tank. Go into any "breakfast" restaurant and take a look at what is above the grills. There will be large grease traps that take the oil out of the air and trap it into little pans that then get dumped into a large recycle bin at the end of shift. It's really gross. If you are going to get your fry on I'd suggest covering the tank with a towel until the air clears.

Back
Top Bottom