Problems cycling 25gal Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prime binds ammonia, nitrites, & nitrates- it doesnt remove them so you will still see them on your tests if they are present.

ah so it would still show so my tank is cycled and safe to add fish minus the 90% water change ??

With 0 ammonia & 0 nitrites, your tank is cycled. If ammonia/nitrite were present, they will show up on your tests even though your using Prime. Prime binds them- it doesnt remove them. Prime binds nitrates as well but you are still seeing them on your test. You should be able to stock your tank- just dont go overboard! I would monitor your water daily for the next week or two just to make sure your numbers stay stable.

You are fine to get fish as long as you do your wc to get your nitrates down (temp match & condition). You will just need to monitor your water for the next wk or two to make sure everything stays stable.

Last edited:
I would get about half the full stock that you want, then add a few more at a time after that. Have fun and take pics when you can. We wanna see them!

Prime will not give you false readings of zero. Prime binds ammonia (NH3) & converts it to ammonium (NH4). The API test detects any levels of NH3/NH4 present in your water. If your very concerned, you can wait to buy fish & continue to dose amm daily to make sure it steadily zeroes out.

I think you're ok to get some fish. Just keep testing afterward and if you see any spikes, do a water change. You'll do fine.

Back
Top Bottom