Problems with my 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickamalf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok just letting everyone know am new to this site. So I have a 29 gallon tank and I am currently having a few issues and do not know what is causing them. Firstly my tank after being set up for 5 months has began to get cloudy it's not to bad but it's still occurring I do routine water changes and this is still happening my water parameters are the nitrates 0 ammonia 0 ph is 7.8 same as my tap I know this is a little high but hasn't been an issue before the tank is slightly overstocked but I have more then enough filtration running a marineland 350 filter and have a large air stones well I just lost two of my Cory catfish in the same day the one had a white substance that looked as if his skin was peeling then when he died his skin became red where it was white before I could upload an image if needed but I am having these issues right now and have no idea what is happening or what's causing it please help and thank you for the help

nickamalf said:
Ok just letting everyone know am new to this site. So I have a 29 gallon tank and I am currently having a few issues and do not know what is causing them. Firstly my tank after being set up for 5 months has began to get cloudy it's not to bad but it's still occurring I do routine water changes and this is still happening my water parameters are the nitrates 0 ammonia 0 ph is 7.8 same as my tap I know this is a little high but hasn't been an issue before the tank is slightly overstocked but I have more then enough filtration running a marineland 350 filter and have a large air stones well I just lost two of my Cory catfish in the same day the one had a white substance that looked as if his skin was peeling then when he died his skin became red where it was white before I could upload an image if needed but I am having these issues right now and have no idea what is happening or what's causing it please help and thank you for the help

Welcome to the site & hope we can help. Are your nitrAtes or nitrItes 0? What is your water change schedule & how much water? What water conditioner are you using & do you add anything else to the water? Are you doing a really good vacuuming when doing water changes? how much do you feed? What is your current stocking? The cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom which can happen & usually clears up with time & water changes. Your Ph isn't a problem if its stays stable. Sorry for all the questions, trying to pinpoint better what the cause is.

Ok so I'm going to admit I don't remember I know one was at 15 and they said that was fine that up to 40 is ok and my alkalinity was I think was 300 which was fine as well since It was in correspondence with the ph I add the aquarium salt for freshwater fish less then what is recommended because I think it wants me to add way to much also if a fish shows signs of infections or injury I will add stress coat to the tank to give them some aloe and all that also I kind of messed up. During my last water change I took out about 50% of the water which I know was way to much but I also do water changes every two or 3 weeks and I always get to the bottom under the gravel and decorations I was feeding them twice a day because I have an overstocked tank with catfish so I need to provide enough for some to fall to the bottom but what still stumps me is how 2 of my Cory's died and what the white stuff on the ones skin because the rest of my fish look well seem to be ok and thank you for the response as well

I know my tank is way over stocked but I am experimenting and I also I know my mixture is not recommended but I just purchased a 55 gallon tank and some fish will be moved
I know my tank is way over stocked but I am experimenting and I also I know my mixture is not recommended but I just purchased a 55 gallon tank and some fish will be moved

1 pleco
1 Raphael cat
3 well now 1 Cory cat
1sun cat
4 platies
2 German blue rams
3 African chiclids
1 balloon mollie
1angel fish
1blue dwarf gourami
And 1 Denonsi barb I know I butchered the name

Also most are babies and so far other than one chiclid none are aggressive
1 pleco
1 Raphael cat
3 well now 1 Cory cat

1sun cat
4 platies
2 German blue rams
3 African chiclids
1 balloon mollie
1angel fish
1blue dwarf gourami

Sorry I am on a tablet right now here is the right post

1 pleco
1 Raphael cat
3 well now 1 Cory cat
1sun cat
4 platies
2 German blue rams
3 African chiclids
1 balloon mollie
1angel fish
1blue dwarf gourami

nickamalf said:
Sorry I am on a tablet right now here is the right post

1 pleco
1 Raphael cat
3 well now 1 Cory cat
1sun cat
4 platies
2 German blue rams
3 African chiclids
1 balloon mollie
1angel fish
1blue dwarf gourami

Most of us do weekly water changes of 50%+ so I think that may be part of your problem even though your water parameters look good (ammo & nitrites 0, nitrates <40(if i remember correctly), Ph stable). There are other minerals & buffers we don't test for in the water that need to be replenished hence the need for more frequent water changes & vacuuming. I had cloudy water in an established tank, heard it could be from not cleaning the substrate well enough, started doing an even deeper gravel vac, my water cleared up & hasn't clouded since. a lot of fish keepers will do a deep cleaning vac on 1/2 the tank one week & the other 1/2 the next. A lot of people don't feed their fish twice daily or even daily, most fish are fine not eating daily. I would up the water changes to weekly & see if that helps with the cloudy water & general health of the fish. It is possible with your quantity & mix of fish the one you lost was stressed or bullied. Hopefully you can get the 55 up & going soon & move the fish.

They lost 2 cories in one day. The redness you were describing almost sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning. Even though u said tour ammonia was OK having a crowded tank and not doing a MINIMUM of a weekly water change I have a hard time believing that water quality couldn't be an issue. How are you testing your water? Strips or liquid?

Back
Top Bottom