Problems with waterchange (adding salt)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
I cant imagine i am the only one that has this issue, however i am hoping to find a more clever way of completing the task of water changes. I change the water out, okay great, at this point i add water back in that is treated for chlorimites, etc. If i just add the water with no salt, it drastically reduced the salt level in the tank. So i usually a day before i am to do the water change fill a bucket and dump salt in it to let it desolve. I stir the water so it doesnt settle to the bottem but it always seems that it settles to the bottem of the bucket, i pour the water into my main tank once it has aired, and then measure the salinity. It seems like my salinity never really goes up by much unless i just dump the salt sludge that collects at the bottem. My livestock NEVER appreciates this, snails do what snails do but my star comes up from the sand and races around the tank trying to find a stable environment. What is everyone else doing to help with this?

are you putting a power head in the water bucket? that will help mix it better.

ya just put a power head and a heater in the container your mixing the salt in and you should be good to go. can hook some tubing up to the same power head and use that to move the water from the bucket to the tank

oh wow i never thought of that, i just dump the bucket in. So this is how large tanks do it, they have a mixing tank or something, with powerhead, heater etc, and they just run lines that you can control the drip and or water flow into the tank ? That sounds like it would be much better for the livestock as they can acclimate better. as the parameters change slightly, thanks for the great advice!

I keep a Rubbermaid container in the garage with about 20g of premixed saltwater in it. A powerhead in the container keeps the water moving and rippling, and a heater keeps it at the same temperature I keep my tank. Salinity of my stored water matches the salinity of the tank. Then I just use a powerhead & 1/2" tube to transfer water from the container to buckets, and then the same setup to transfer the water from the buckets to the tank.

Wow how times have changed..... That is a good idea that I have never thought about.... I still do it the old fashion way that I learned from my dad back in the day. Put correct amount of salt in bucket, fill bucket with water (estimate water temp by hand) put declorinator etc in bucket and away it goes to the tank.... Hmm may have to think about doing something different....

I went to walmart and got two 5 gallon water jugs that are meant for the water machines you see in offices. You know, the kind with the little paper cups?

I use a funnel and pour salt into pre measured RO/DI water and then put the cap on. Next comes the fun part! SHAKE AND BAKE! I shake the you know what out of it! Works great! Open the cap a few times to let fresh air in and then shake it crazy again.

The second jug holds the old tank water. Marking both jugs at the same level keeps me from draining too much water from the main tank. I then just pour the new salt water right in and then go fill it back up with RO/DI water for next week's PWC. Cap it tight to keep crud out and then make sure to open the cap and shake again before PWC.

Youll want to test pH and salinity before doing the PWC.
Matt

mrg, that seems like a great method as well, how do you keep your RO/DI for the upcomming week at the temp similar to your main tank? if you dont heat it how do you just open it and drop in a heater for a few hours to bring it to temp before dumping the water in ?

I live in florida, so its pretty hot here. :) My house temperature is about the same as my tank temperature, so no need for a heater. I just pour in the water and watch the temperature in the tank. Never see a drop of more than 0.5 degrees.

Matt

"If i just add the water with no salt, it drastically reduced the salt level in the tank. So i usually a day before i am to do the water change fill a bucket and dump salt in it to let it desolve. I stir the water so it doesnt settle to the bottem but it always seems that it settles to the bottem of the bucket, i pour the water into my main tank once it has aired, and then measure the salinity. It seems like my salinity never really goes up by much unless i just dump the salt sludge that collects at the bottem."

mmaglione., you add premixed saltwater, not freshwater to your tank. Ie: you remove 20g of old tank water and replace it with 20g of freshly made saltwater of the correct salinity to your tank. Do not add freshwater then add the salt to it.

adding salt directly to your DT can seriously harm your fish,get yourself a 5 gallon plastic water tank a powerhead and heater and off you go

Back
Top Bottom