Progressions to My 5 Gallon: Run-off from "Micro fish for a 5 Gallon?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FreshObsessed said:
Anubias Coffefolia

Unknown Moss, help me ID?

Dwarf Sag

Full tank shot.

We still have a little clearing up to do and it is looking a little bare but I hope things will start to fill out more soon and when my Micro Swords arrive everything, I feel, it is going to start to come together.

That is Java moss :)

After a nice, cool water change on the Nano it is starting to clear up. Will make another PWC tomorrow if Cloudiness persists. ;)

IMG_1377[1].jpg

I have a question for everyone.
I am looking for a low-medium light plant that carpets the substrate: The left side of the tank is pretty bare. Any suggestions? Would Dwarf Hairgrass work? Not to knowledgeable on it, but I like the look of DH.

My apologies for being late to the thread, it's quite hard to keep up with them when the posting is so frequent.

I wouldn't hesitate to get a group of random plants to start with, you might find something you like, and at worst you can just dispose of them if you don't like them. Lots of people sell off their clippings so you can usually get a bunch of various species to try out relatively cheap.

As far as anchoring ferns goes, use superglue gel, tying them down with string sounds like a lot of unnecessary work IMO.

For a carpet your options are a little limited but there are still some. Marsilea species all stay short and can form a carpet, but take a long time to do so. Pygmy chainsword is another good one that doesn't require a whole lot and can form a carpet if given enough time/nutrients to do so.

My apologies for being late to the thread, it's quite hard to keep up with them when the posting is so frequent.

I wouldn't hesitate to get a group of random plants to start with, you might find something you like, and at worst you can just dispose of them if you don't like them. Lots of people sell off their clippings so you can usually get a bunch of various species to try out relatively cheap.

As far as anchoring ferns goes, use superglue gel, tying them down with string sounds like a lot of unnecessary work IMO.

For a carpet your options are a little limited but there are still some. Marsilea species all stay short and can form a carpet, but take a long time to do so. Pygmy chainsword is another good one that doesn't require a whole lot and can form a carpet if given enough time/nutrients to do so.
No worries, man. It is hard to keep up if your not in the whole convo! Yeah, that is exactly what I am doing tomorrow, I am going to get some Low lights that I like and see where it goes from there. I also have 2 Micro Sword on the way so the tank will be filled out in less than a week. For the lesser spots that I don't plan on carpeting I am thinking of a few Anubias Petite to fill out space. This is going to be a very diverse tank! :) Thanks for joining in the discussion.

I have kind of gave up on ferns, the more and more I look at them the more turned off I get towards them. But, good info for any one else on the thread with Ferns, :thanks:.

Oh my gosh! PCS look like awesome plants. I think I will look into those.
Ideally, I would carpet with HC/DBT. But not sure if my lighting/ co2 qualifies to keep them.

Going to the LFS tomorrow. I will come back with some nice plants and new pics for you guys! (y)

jetajockey said:

Sigh. You would say that now! I spent a large part of my afternoon fussing with ferns, rocks and threads because I thought maybe I had made a mistake using super glue gel with my anubias.

I love the ferns, but I am looking forward to seeing how this tank grows with different plants. And I am really keen to see how the carpet works out.

ErinMcG said:
Sigh. You would say that now! I spent a large part of my afternoon fussing with ferns, rocks and threads because I thought maybe I had made a mistake using super glue gel with my anubias.

I love the ferns, but I am looking forward to seeing how this tank grows with different plants. And I am really keen to see how the carpet works out.

I respect Jeta, and I know his advice is good. But I personally like my string. It is just more natural and more natural looking in my opinion.

It is a bit more fuss, but I just prefer it lol.

MABJ said:
I respect Jeta, and I know his advice is good. But I personally like my string. It is just more natural and more natural looking in my opinion.

It is a bit more fuss, but I just prefer it lol.

How I a plant bound to a piece of wood with loops of string natural? Lol :confused:

Just found the thread! Lol kinda late, sorry about that lol the tank is coming along great! what about some floating plants like dwarf water lettuce? I just pulled out all of my micro swords from my tank. They barely grew over 4 months with high light and CO2. Not sure if this was mentioned before, but you have root tabs right?:)

Just found the thread! Lol kinda late, sorry about that lol the tank is coming along great! what about some floating plants like dwarf water lettuce? I just pulled out all of my micro swords from my tank. They barely grew over 4 months with high light and CO2. Not sure if this was mentioned before, but you have root tabs right?:)
Well, welcome along! Thanks a lot! I'm going out today and getting some more plants so it will be even better. :D
Wow, sorry to hear about that. I heard it was lower-medium light, but extra light should induce more growing!
I do not have root tabs. I was thinking of getting Flourish and Excel, (said in the first post) but I am up to hear pros of Root tabs! :)

It deffinitely will be a whole lot of different plants. Lol, I am excited tosee how this carpet turns out soon. Looking at Dwarf Hairgrass...?

Not to hijack, just a bit curious about the whole string thing, would thread (like for sewing) work as well?

Freakgecko91 said:
Not to hijack, just a bit curious about the whole string thing, would thread (like for sewing) work as well?

I use brown cotton sewing thread. It rots off on its own by the time the plant is rooted or cut off when needed

FreshObsessed said:
Well, welcome along! Thanks a lot! I'm going out today and getting some more plants so it will be even better. :D
Wow, sorry to hear about that. I heard it was lower-medium light, but extra light should induce more growing!
I do not have root tabs. I was thinking of getting Flourish and Excel, (said in the first post) but I am up to hear pros of Root tabs! :)

Crypts and Swords are heavy root feeders. They enjoy root tabs, DIY or store bought. I just replenished my Osmocote Plus DIY caps in my tanks.
You can buy them DIY'd for you via
The Planted Tank
Aquatic Plant Central ( both free to join, only members see sales threads )
Root Medic
AquariumFertilizer.com http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=cats&Edit=9&EditU=1&Regit=9
eBay
Etc....

Scouser said:
How I a plant bound to a piece of wood with loops of string natural? Lol :confused:

I mean, you can't see the brown string on my drift wood... Lol. And it is a tonnnnn more natural than glue. I'm not bashing the glue theory. But yeah.. As Coursair, who obviously also does it, said, it degrades on its own and blends in easily.

Crypts and Swords are heavy root feeders. They enjoy root tabs, DIY or store bought. I just replenished my Osmocote Plus DIY caps in my tanks.
You can buy them DIY'd for you via
The Planted Tank
Aquatic Plant Central ( both free to join, only members see sales threads )
Root Medic
AquariumFertilizer.com Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Main, Main, Blends, Tabs, Capsules, Blends, Tabs, Capsules,
eBay
Etc....
So Excel and Flourish won't do much?
I honestly haven't seen root tabs around. I might have to a DIY one if it is a must. Like I said, up to anything! Will both excel and flourish do any help?

Once the extended family leaves I am off to a new LFS. It is at least a half an hour away but I heard their plants are awesome. Will probably pick up root tabs and/or excel and flourish.

Updates and pictures later! Stay tuned. :popcorn: ;)

Update time!! :)

Just got out of the not so local, LFS! Today I got African water fern and some Dwarf hair grass! Will be planted soon and pictures up in an hour or two!

1 quick question: I saw these Norman's lameye killifish while at the store, would a pair be ok in my 5 gallon? I really like them and they are barely an inch!

Back
Top Bottom